Before or after meals

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
My friend asked for my almond cake-bread recipe. I took a sample with me yesterday when we went to dinner with them.

He had chips with it! Is he hoping that if you include low carb items in your diet you can eat high carb freely? When I gave my talk to the Hounslow group last May, some folk refused my offering because it was low carb - & they know low carb is bad for you.

How can I get the low carb message across? I'm used to getting the message across - preaching the Gospel is one of my activities - but this is ridiculous.

Mileana

Heh.

Maybe things just need some time to sink in and after hearing stuff a few times, at least people can stop brushing it off as 'not applicable; nonsense'.

In the end though, the Big Book is right, no point talking to people who absolutely will not listen. Sow seeds, then wait. That's all anyone can do when it comes to changing minds. It's also really all that is 'right' to do. The alternative would mean you implied un-telligence on the part of the other person. :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
How can I get the low carb message across? I'm used to getting the message across - preaching the Gospel is one of my activities - but this is ridiculous.

Ian, preaching the Gospel is one thing but changing people's minds on what is and isn't healthy is a totally different ball game, it might just may be that this particular group are not interested in low-carb and you may want to widen your search for new recruits.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joey I wonder if that is why I went out to the dust bin in one shoe and one slipper :oops: Perhaps I should have a mashed potato sandwich :lol:
CAROL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ian
I've got my doctor on my side now. He's new to me since my previous one, also converted has retired. Our DSN is also convinced.
It takes never-ending chipping away.
Ps could you give me the contact for the dietician who was at that meeting, who said he was pro-low carb?
Hana

joeyhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My DSN is pro carbs, she calls low carb, "starvation, like they did in the twenties", but saying that she is very nice. and has made me an appointment with the dietician this thurs to get the message across.

I can't be too critical tho as they have been very quick with appointments and forthcoming with help, support and advice, the thing is with the advice tho is that its just standard eat the standard English diet, which is all well and good but is very insulin dependant, and I'm only two days into injections after eating virtually no carbs since 18th sep on diagnosis which worked for me to bring my bs down to 7's to 10's, now i'm injecting its all over the place 5's to 18's cos i'm eating 'essential carbs'.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
hanadr said:
Ian
I've got my doctor on my side now. He's new to me since my previous one, also converted has retired. Our DSN is also convinced.
Ps could you give me the contact for the dietician who was at that meeting, who said he was pro-low carb?
Hana
Sorry Hana, I've tried to contact him & her but my emails go unanswered. I sent you a copy of my latest attempt.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
IanD said:
hanadr said:
Ian
Hana
Sorry Hana, I've tried to contact him & her but my emails go unanswered. I sent you a copy of my latest attempt.

I'll see what happens this year, & who comes - I've been invited to give a low carb update.

The local heart surgeon who advises LDL chol should be below 3 will be coming. Tongue in cheek : "as artery blockages comprise cholesterol, minimising chol both in diet & blood MUST be beneficial." BUT has he correlated food & blood cholesterol levels with heart heart disease??? AND why does the body need & make its own chol???