Being inactive can it affect levels alot?.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys question to other type 1s can being not active affect sugar even if in dosing correct insulin with meals example higher spikes in meals compared to when your active.

Last edited:

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... can being not active affect sugar even if in dosing correct insulin with meals ...
Absolutely! Exercise increases insulin sensitivity for up to 36 hours. Especially aerobic exercise. After food, exercise is the next biggest controllable factor that affects blood glucose. I exercise everyday to maintain insulin sensitivity where it needs to be for insulin regimen. On the days I don't exercise, my insulin dosage requirements increase,

Reactions: Rose22 and ert

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I take less insulin when I expect to do something active than when I plan on a lazy day on the couch.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I use my stationary bike to help lower my BG level when it goes higher than I like. Otherwise my levels would stay higher longer or require more insulin.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, being active makes a difference. I know I’ll need less insulin for exercise, and usually the day after too. I carry jelly babies too, in case an activity lasts longer, or uses or uses more energy than I thought it would.

Reactions: Rose22

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys question to other type 1s can being not active affect sugar even if in dosing correct insulin with meals example higher spikes in meals compared to when your active.

In a word, YES. Same principle in all human beings I think.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes ,i was off work yesterday and my bgs are always higher when im having a lazy day at home .

Reactions: Rose22

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes, my insulin use depends on how active I plan to be.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Yes, I spend most of my time at work driving a desk. So I bolus for lunch thinking I will be seated most of the afternoon and then get a call to go over to the factory and sort something out. I know I could have problems if I'm on my feet for the next couple of hours so I take the glucojuice with me.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes defo. I find in the school holidays when I’m not in my usual routine my sugars are much higher. I have to then up my basal.

Reactions: Marie 2

michael_n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, and big time. I had to find that out again the hard way after almost 17 years of dealing with this disease. I hadn't had a HbA1c below 6.5% for the last 4 to 5 years before starting to walk everyday to work again. It seems that playing football and going to the gym twice or thrice weekly weren't as effective for me as a daily 4 mile walk.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, prior to surgery my Hba1c was 38, 18 months. post surgery and having great difficulty walking my Hba1c has risen to 60 and medication has increased despite low carb. diet.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggle to get below 14 if I'm sitting at a desk but take a 10 min walk around the block and my BG levels plummet

Reactions: Marie 2