Being Sensitive to Insulin

SuperMum007

Hi Everyone,

I have a 3yr old little boy, whos been a type 1 for almost 2 yrs now.. we're been fortunate enough to have now gone onto the pump, but have found that he is extremely sensitive to insulin..

I am quite baffled, at the moment his bloodsugars can drop 12 mmols with 1 unit of novorapid insulin.. not sure what is going on, will be meeting with the diabetes team tommorow to discuss his progress this week..

Also before the pump, he would have 2 snacks of 10 grams per day am & pm without insulin, to keep his bloodsugars from dipping low as he is at nursery in the morning.

Any advice or even suggestions or ideas as to being so sensitive to insulin, would be appreciated.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I would think what you have quoted is pretty normal. 1 unit of insulin will drop my son 8mmol but when he was smaller it would drop him 15+mmol. My son was diagnosed young like your son and over the years things have become easier. It is just a matter of waiting for their body weight to be a bit greater for the insulin to not be quite so intense. My son will be 5 in December and now weighs about 17kg. The pump should be able to deliver very tiny amounts of insulin and you can adjust the basal dose to fit in also. What pump have you got as another parent with the same pump might be able to share some ideas.

Hi my little girl is now 4 and was diagnosed at 10 months old, we are on mdi but use an accu chek expert which is amazing, we had to set Jazs insulin sensitivity in the machine and hers is 1:14, so for every unit of novorapid I inject her bloods will fall by 14! very scary as its very rarely above that! I dont worry how sensitive my little girl is to insulin though because as long as its working for her then im happy! her ratios are 1;25 morning, 1;30 lunch and dinner and she has 4 units of glargine at night. we have also found that she has needed less insulin as she is growning which baffles me but I dont question it as it works very well, we are waiting for a pump