Berberine - has anyone used this instead of Metformin in Type 2 diabetes?

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am fairly new to Metformin, and have suffered many side effects . Has anyone used Berberine as an alternative?

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too suffered badly with Metformin, thankfully was only on it a short while.
I did then try some Berberine from British Supplements, all was well for 24 hours then all hell broke loose!
Metformin was tame in comparison, no idea if it will help you. The only way I guess is to try.
Maybe a small packet to start.

Now I’m diet controlled, no meds and very thankful.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and Pipp

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Ruthjo
All types of medication come with their own side effects and it seems to be a bit of a lottery if you are affected or not.
Many of us have managed to reduce or even avoid medication altogether by not eating the the things that cause our high blood sugar.
Have a look at the link for the nutritional thingy at the end of this post. It could help you to avoid the dreaded Metformin.

Reactions: Lainie71

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Welcome @Ruthjo
All types of medication come with their own side effects and it seems to be a bit of a lottery if you are affected or not.
Many of us have managed to reduce or even avoid medication altogether by not eating the the things that cause our high blood sugar.
Have a look at the link for the nutritional thingy at the end of this post. It could help you to avoid the dreaded Metformin.
Funny, I still have that on my kitchen cupboard door and still to this day take reference from it, only yesterday in fact

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried Berberine a couple of months ago and had to stop taking it as had really bad tummy ache. I am on SR Metformin and don’t have any side effects although I had a week of tummy ache at first but then it all settled down.

• Informative

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Ruthjo and welcome to the forum.

I'm a metformin user. What dose was prescribed and how long have you taken it?

Please bear in mind that as a food supplement, berberine has not undergone the same scientific scrutiny as medication like metformin. Just saying.

Reactions: lovinglife

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, Living Lightly, I really appreciate your reply. I have been taking Metformin for 34 days, and I have promised to take 500mg x2 daily. I have had extreme side effects, particularly diarrhoea, muscle pain, and fatigue. I thought they were beginning to settle, but unfortunately that was a brief respite to the storm that followed - I will leave that to your imagination . It is hindering my social life. My husband and I don’t go out a lot - we are in our 70’s - but I have to know there is a toilet wherever I go, and on occasions I don’t get there on time. Luckily, no-one is aware yet!

My husband was a pharmacist, and I retired at 65 as a nursing home inspector, (nursing background) so we have a little knowledge on the subject, and are fully aware of the fact that, as you rightly say, it lacks the vigorous scrutiny of medical drug testing. I just wondered if anyone had tried it successfully or unsuccessfully. I know it is less absorbed than Metformin, but some of the studies have shown very favourable results.

• Informative

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too suffered badly with Metformin, thankfully was only on it a short while.
I did then try some Berberine from British Supplements, all was well for 24 hours then all hell broke loose!
Metformin was tame in comparison, no idea if it will help you. The only way I guess is to try.
Maybe a small packet to start.

Now I’m diet controlled, no meds and very thankful.
Thank you so much for your reply, by ‘all hell’, I am assuming diarrhoea? That is my main problem with Metformin!

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried Berberine a couple of months ago and had to stop taking it as had really bad tummy ache. I am on SR Metformin and don’t have any side effects although I had a week of tummy ache at first but then it all settled down.
Thank you for your reply, how long did you take the Berberine, and have you had any side effects such as extreme diarrhoea with the SR Metformin?

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your reply, by ‘all hell’, I am assuming diarrhoea? That is my main problem with Metformin!

Yes, preceded by chronic stomach pain.
Much like Metformin I’d be loathe to leave the safety of the house.

It’s been 9 months since I stopped the Metformin, I was worried initially that I’d struggle without it, so hence the purchase of Berberine.
There was a slight rise in my morning readings, but that soon settled down.
I found that what I eat has a far greater effect on my control than meds/ supplemements.
Hope that helps.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

Ruthjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, preceded by chronic stomach pain.
Much like Metformin I’d be loathe to leave the safety of the house.

It’s been 9 months since I stopped the Metformin, I was worried initially that I’d struggle without it, so hence the purchase of Berberine.
There was a slight rise in my morning readings, but that soon settled down.
I found that what I eat has a far greater effect on my control than meds/ supplemements.
Hope that helps.
Thank you, it does help. I am not keen on taking medication, especially when it affects me in this way!

Reactions: Kernow Debra

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was thinking of taking Berberine herbal tea, so this would be interesting to know the results you have. I am a herbal tea junky and have a mountain of herbs in my cupboard that generally fall out and I pick that one for the day! I am currently trying out Feverfew for my headaches and Eyebright for my eyes/sinuses.