Best Libre 2 Sensor Cover??

Lauranne

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello folks, I am looking for opinions & options for Libre 2 Sensor covers. For when I'm in the shower etc.

Are they any good & worth buying??
I do have an armband protector thingy!!!
Sorry can't think of the proper name for it..

Many thanks
I do not wear anything on it as cover, lasts well ! If not enough, sometimes I just put a tape on it.
Cheers

Lauranne

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey !
I have libre 2 for years now, and had the same type of question of you, i.e. how to ensure the glucose lasts 2 weeks, especially because of shower. I bought one on Amazon(**), which is really well done , not too rigid so that it is not annoying. You keep it on top of the libre 2 and "secure" it with their tape. But, honestly, now I don'T put anything anymore and I've no issue.

(**) I cannot put a direct link to Amazon, so search for : Freestyle Sensor Covers Waterproof,40+1 Pack Libre 2 Patches,One Plastic Libre 2 Sensor Cover and 40pcs Clear CGM Adhesive Patches with Hole .

Reactions: Optium

andyndee

Hello folks, I am looking for opinions & options for Libre 2 Sensor covers. For when I'm in the shower etc.

Many thanks
You can buy a strap on Amazon it has aa part that sits around the sensor and then adjust the elasticated strap. I brought 1 after loosing a sensor after I'd fitted 1 then had a shower within an hour when I was drying myself the sensor came off. I reported it to libre who sent out a replacement. I sometimes use it if when riding my motorcycle with my heavy m/c jacket or in our hot tub.

cagreen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ca you order the Libre 2 covers, from this site? I'd like to get some...
I dance regularly, and from time to time, a partner dislodges the sensor when his arm slides down mine....

9031Jonathan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Many thanks
I used to have trouble with sensors coming off. But now I wash the area thoroughly with soap and water, before applying it. None have come off since then.

Jonathan

Reactions: Speedbird

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Many thanks
I use mepore plasters. You can get them just the right size so that the non sticky bit goes over the sensor leaving enough to stick all round it. But I don’t use anything in bath or shower, it should not be necessary as the glue is so good and very waterproof. With the plasters, all they do is hold the water against the sensor, so it’s better not to use them in water. I use the plasters in summer when I have bare arms and it is very easy to knock the sensor off while busy doing things. This is just my experience and opinion, so nothing is set in concrete.

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had libre 2 since October 2021 and have caught and dislodged a couple in that time, one was getting dressed and the other was when I reached behind the driver's seat in the car when I was wearing a t-shirt. One came unstuck when I was in a jacuzzi so now where a short length of tube bandage over it. It might be the chlorine in the water as I've been in the sea with no issues.
I've tried other covers but the bandage doesn't look too conspicuous whereas covers might to some.
I use Mepore plasters that come in the right size. They are white so a bit visible, you can get darker ones, but they are much more expensive. Reaching into the back of the car is a pain isn’t it? I’ve lost a few sensors that way when I forgot to cover them In T-shirt weather.

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to have trouble with sensors coming off. But now I wash the area thoroughly with soap and water, before applying it. None have come off since then.

Jonathan
The sensor boxes used to come with a sterile pad in them to clean the area it sticks to. But they don’t anymore, cost cutting I suppose. Save a penny per box and it adds up to many pounds quite quickly for a big company.

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No need for the hole, you can simply cover the sensor. :)
You can get sticking plasters the right size for the non stick bit to cover the sensor and the sticky bit is just big enough to stick all round it. I use Mepore brand ones, but I’m sure there must be others the right size. You can buy the Mepore ones in big boxes quite cheaply. I only use them in the summer when I have bare arms and can catch the sensor on any passing object.

Reactions: Antje77

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey !
I have libre 2 for years now, and had the same type of question of you, i.e. how to ensure the glucose lasts 2 weeks, especially because of shower. I bought one on Amazon(**), which is really well done , not too rigid so that it is not annoying. You keep it on top of the libre 2 and "secure" it with their tape. But, honestly, now I don'T put anything anymore and I've no issue.

(**) I cannot put a direct link to Amazon, so search for : Freestyle Sensor Covers Waterproof,40+1 Pack Libre 2 Patches,One Plastic Libre 2 Sensor Cover and 40pcs Clear CGM Adhesive Patches with Hole .
Thank you for the search pointer. I just looked at them on Amazon and they look amazing. Especially as you can get them in tan colour to match my skin. They seem a bit expensive, but when you divide their £19 by the 20 patches in the box, that’s 40 weeks’ worth, so only 50p a week. And I only use covers during the summer months when I am wearing short sleeved shirts, so they‘d last a lot longer than 40 weeks.
It’s a bit disappointing though that although they do a colour to hide them on Caucasian skin, as well as lots of bright colours, they don‘t show any in darker skin tones for the darker skinned people who, like me, prefer the patch to be invisible.

Margi1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for the search pointer. I just looked at them on Amazon and they look amazing. Especially as you can get them in tan colour to match my skin. They seem a bit expensive, but when you divide their £19 by the 20 patches in the box, that’s 40 weeks’ worth, so only 50p a week. And I only use covers during the summer months when I am wearing short sleeved shirts, so they‘d last a lot longer than 40 weeks.
It’s a bit disappointing though that although they do a colour to hide them on Caucasian skin, as well as lots of bright colours, they don‘t show any in darker skin tones for the darker skinned people who, like me, prefer the patch to be invisible.
That comment was on only one of the many listed on Amazon, but still not one of them comes coloured any shade of brown that would be invisible on darker skinned people, some of whom I’m sure would, as I do, not want their patch to be obvious.

richling

I wear mine more on the underside/inside of my arm muscle. We lived for 5 years in a motorhome with very tight doorways etc, would knock a few off that way so I learned to put them a bit more protected under my arm. Today we go in the hot tub every day for 20minutes, and wear it in the shower. I don't cover it. It works fine.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That comment was on only one of the many listed on Amazon, but still not one of them comes coloured any shade of brown that would be invisible on darker skinned people, some of whom I’m sure would, as I do, not want their patch to be obvious.
I use Hypafix Transparent, comes on a 10 meter roll. It's transparent so it'll match your exact skin colour. :)
I usually cut a piece of tissue the size of the sensor between the sensor and the patch so the patch doesn't stick to the sensor in case the patch doesn't last for the full 2 weeks and I have to change it.
1678799476086.png

Reactions: HairySmurf

9031Jonathan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sensor boxes used to come with a sterile pad in them to clean the area it sticks to. But they don’t anymore, cost cutting I suppose. Save a penny per box and it adds up to many pounds quite quickly for a big company.
Actually, I have found that soap and water is much more effective than alcohol wipes. My pharmacist says that it is now the recommended way of cleaning an area of skin.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm definitely not a limpet, I have no hope of keeping one on for a fortnight without covering it. I saw my DSN when I first started using them and now get Hydrofilm plasters on prescription. They're 6x7cm clear plasters with no dressing patch, so they cover with a good margin. I'm so unsticky that after a week I have to cut the edges off the plaster as that will have started to peel off and put a second one over the top. I have a theory that the drier your skin, the less sticky you are. I know that sounds counter-intuitive; I say it because dry skin seems to shed a lot more than oilier, hence things not sticking. I've no evidence for it, and it doesn't really matter, I just wish the **** things would stay on without help! :D

Old’un

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Many thanks
I have been using freestyle libre for many years now and after initially losing a few I purchased some skin tac wipes which I now routinely use. I clean the application site with isopropyl alcohol, let it dry and then use the adhesive wipe. When that has dried after a few seconds I apply the sensor which sticks very firmly. Despite showering every day and swimming every week for an hour and a half at a time the sensors never fail to work or fall off. A very simple and effective solution to the problem of poor adhesion.

ANGEBABES

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just come back from a holiday and swam in the sea around 20 times and showered sometimes twice a day. Sensor carried on perfectly. I've read some people say long periods in water can mean you need to cover it but I didn't stay in for longer than 30 minutes each time. Having said that I have had a sensor that came unstuck a few days into wearing it with just normal use. I contacted Abbott and they replaced it.
I don’t have any problems showering with my sensors with no protection, only time I’ve ever lost a sensor is banging my arm on the door frames, done that a few times but ours are on prescription in the UK so we don’t need to pay for them, we are very lucky, so I just order more. Have had to contact Abbott once for a replacement as GP surgery refused, depends what mood they’re in. Abbott replaced no problem. Annoys me you don’t get the alcohol wipes supplied anymore though. Anyone got any tips on easily getting the round ring of glue off your arm. I’ve had many a shower and it’s still visible and end up having to scrub and scrub, even if I add moisturiser lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit, to date. I’ve never lost a sensor. Sticks like the proverbial.

Never needed to cover it.

I do exfoliate the site & clean with alcohol & dry thoroughly prior to planting the sensor.. (I use underarm.)
More likely to get it hit by the headstock of a guitar than anything, on the back of the arm..

Old’un

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t have any problems showering with my sensors with no protection, only time I’ve ever lost a sensor is banging my arm on the door frames, done that a few times but ours are on prescription in the UK so we don’t need to pay for them, we are very lucky, so I just order more. Have had to contact Abbott once for a replacement as GP surgery refused, depends what mood they’re in. Abbott replaced no problem. Annoys me you don’t get the alcohol wipes supplied anymore though. Anyone got any tips on easily getting the round ring of glue off your arm. I’ve had many a shower and it’s still visible and end up having to scrub and scrub, even if I add moisturiser lol
I buy a one litre bottle of isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol from a well known online marketplace and use a little of it with a tissue and it works well for both cleansing the skin before applying a sensor and cleaning off the adhesive remnants from the old one too. The bottle lasts for ages. Do not contemplate surgical spirit as this leaves a sticky residue but industrial methylated spirit would also work.

Itp Cat lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally only put on a cover if the sensor starts to come loose. I have used Tegaderm and it works well.

I now use a Waterproof Transparent Stretch Adhesive Bandage for tattoo aftercare that I got on Amazon. 10cm by 5m (4 inchx5.47yeards) is £8.30, I'm still using the roll I bought in May 2021.
Thank you, I have wierd skin and fed up with libra falling off, tried 2 different types of covers, they fall off. So going to order this and have fingers, eyes n toes crossed

Reactions: TG4567