Best Time of Year to Do the HbA1c Test?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a number pure and simple and probably not even 100% accurate but it will give you a good benchmark to see what Christmas did. If it's bad then you know not to have a similar Christmas again and if it's ok then you know that you can "get away" with being a bit more lax with your way of eating (not that I'd recommend that of course). It's simply a piece of data. If it's over 48 mmol/m then you will have slipped into T2 and will get slightly more care from your surgery (probably) if not then brilliant.
Thanks for that. You have encapsulated my thinking.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 6 monthly tests are in January (after Xmas) and July (after my holidays, usually in Italy) I think of the results as worse case, so if they ok, my HbA1c should be the same or better in-between tests.

Reactions: Robbity and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 6 monthly tests are in January (after Xmas) and July (after my holidays, usually in Italy) I think of the results as worse case, so if they ok, my HbA1c should be the same or better in-between tests.
I am off to Italy in April. My first time. We are simply visiting Rome. :)

How do you get on with pizza, pasta and gelato?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am off to Italy in April. My first time. We are simply visiting Rome. :)

How do you get on with pizza, pasta and gelato?
I didn't eat any gelato or pizza but I did have the occasional small pasta. There are plenty of other low carb things to eat at restaurants in Rome for evening meals and hotel breakfasts usually have ham, cheese and eggs. A light lunch can be a problem but if I eat anything I get something suitable from a supermarket.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't eat any gelato or pizza but I did have the occasional small pasta. There are plenty of other low carb things to eat at restaurants in Rome for evening meals and hotel breakfasts usually have ham, cheese and eggs. A light lunch can be a problem but if I eat anything I get something suitable from a supermarket.
I suppose the Italians don’t get special dispensation on diabetes? Or do they get away with it with the Mediterranean diet?

But I guess they do low carb pizza and pasta alternatives?

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I have read that traditionally the Italian diet wasn’t particularly huge on pasta anyway. They used it in starters and smaller dishes but not huge plates of the stuff. That seems to be a typical western interpretation of a diet. I’ve never been to Italy so cannot verify whether or not this is, or was, true.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that traditionally the Italian diet wasn’t particularly huge on pasta anyway. They used it in starters and smaller dishes but not huge plates of the stuff. That seems to be a typical western interpretation of a diet. I’ve never been to Italy so cannot verify whether or not this is, or was, true.
This is true depending on the area you are in, my Italian relatives (southern Italy) don't eat a lot of pasta and if they do it's like a side dish, bit like we eat potato. They eat lots of fish, meat olives and the oil, vegetables and salsas and breads, pizzas are also made quite differently although still very carbs! However there are areas where they eat a massive amounts of pasta

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose the Italians don’t get special dispensation on diabetes? Or do they get away with it with the Mediterranean diet?

But I guess they do low carb pizza and pasta alternatives?
If you mean pasta and pizza that are not made with normal flour I think that is very unlikely, the Italians are very strong on tradition. However the pasta and pizzas are not usually the extreme carb fest found in the UK. Last time my wife and I were on holiday in Rome we walked an average of 8 miles per day so that helped with any carbs I did have. Incidentally if you are going to be anywhere near the Central Station there is an excellent food hall type restaurant ideal for a low carb meal - Google Mercato Centrale Roma.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean pasta and pizza that are not made with normal flour I think that is very unlikely, the Italians are very strong on tradition. However the pasta and pizzas are not usually the extreme carb fest found in the UK. Last time my wife and I were on holiday in Rome we walked an average of 8 miles per day so that helped with any carbs I did have. Incidentally if you are going to be anywhere near the Central Station there is an excellent food hall type restaurant ideal for a low carb meal - Google Mercato Centrale Roma.
How do you mean “foodhall” type restaurant?

We will be staying in Trastevere. And spending time in the central areas. Would you recommend the tram service?

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you mean “foodhall” type restaurant?
Lots of different stalls selling cooked food and a central seating area, so you can mix and match your choices. Maybe meat or fish from one stall a selection of vegetables from another and a glass of wine from somewhere else.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of different stalls selling cooked food and a central seating area, so you can mix and match your choices. Maybe meat or fish from one stall a selection of vegetables from another and a glass of wine from somewhere else.
Perfect. My wife loves that sort of arrangement. Thanks for the tip.

D

Deleted member 308541

It seems to me that in the months immediately after Christmas are likely to be the worst times of the year to do this test.
I get my hba1c done at the beginning of June and December, I used to get them in March and September but have stopped getting them done then.

pjayem1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to me that in the months immediately after Christmas are likely to be the worst times of the year to do this test. I did over indulge over that period but have been a lot more sensible since Christmas especially as the HbA1c Test is due in early February. As a prediabetic should I consider postponing the test?
Just had my Hba1c back and I am at 45 down 1 from 46 so still at pre diabetic levels. I was diagnosed type 2 back in June with a Hba1c of 54. Got myself a fitness tracker and drastically reduced the carbs. I am now 3 stones lighter but still need to lose about 60 lbs to get to my goal. In the time I have followed this forum I have come to realise that this way of eating is for life and not just a diet. So the time for a test shouldn't make any difference.

Reactions: Prem51