Beta cell regeneration in Type 2's

JenniferG

Now that I am able to effortlessly maintain my blood glucose in the 75-90 range all day with:
1) 10 units of NPH injection every 8 hours (as basal -- fairly flat curve when summed)
2) 1200 calorie LCHF diet (10-20g carbs, 75-90g protein)
3) 2x20 minutes of walking per day

And the fact I:
1) feel wonderful
2) more mentally acute
3) keto-adapted w/ blood ketones 1.2-1.7 mmol/L all day (w/ only trace ketones in urine)
4) never hungry

Is it possible for my pancreas to start healing or regenerating beta cells?--since I appear to have many left: I mean I am only taking 24 units of basal insulin right now and I am highly insulin resistant. (e.g. 1 unit covers 3 mg/dl glucose). So I must have some decent function left.

Thing is though, I've had A1C of 7-10 for like 6 or 7 years. Last year it was around 6.7 avg. Last A1C was 6.1. Next A1C should be 5.2. And well if I can keep my blood sugar in the 70-90 range all day like I am now, then my next A1C should be well under 5.

If I can keep my avg blood glucose at 83 mg/dL (which it has been for the past 7 days), is there a chance pancreas can repair itself? (I read in Bernstein's book that people maintaining this level of blood glucose have seen pancreas repair themselves.. but he said this is only usually when it is first caught... like 1 or 2 years within diagnosis.. again I've had it much longer than that.)

I am taking 10 units every 8 hours of Novolin NPH when I only need 8 units. It makes no difference in my blood sugar level. I figure the extra 2 units are letting the pancreas rest a bit. Maybe I should up it a bit more to see if my blood sugar still stays the same, then compare fasting insulin lvls, using HOMA-IR. I want to give my pancreas a break as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The current view seems to be that you need to lose the fat from in your liver and pancreas cells. Losing liver fat seems to be quick when people lose a little waight, but pancreas fat needs a large weight lose. Even then people who have had type2 for less then 8 years get better results, but everyone seems to benfit form the fat loss.

High insulin levels are a risk fastor for heart issues etc and resent reserach has shown that a very "good" BG gives a shorter life then a "mid range" BG for people with type2 taking insulin. (But most people in the study would not have been keto-adapted. Remember its total insulin including what your body makes.)

83 mg/dL (4.6 mmol/L) is veyr low, if I was using insulin I would be aiming for 6 or 7 mmol/l (about 120 mg/dL) so as to use less insulin, and reducing calories to lose wait. 800 calorie for 8 weeks works for lots of people, or intermitant fasting. But if using fasting you may wish to let your BG go up to as much as 180 mg/dL (10 mmol/L) just before the fast, so the insulin does not give you a hypro.

(As already samll amount of ketos in blood at all times, I expect it is total calories not carbs that need redusing, but maybe cut the protain and have a bit more fat to see what that does.)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as pancreas regrowth, I tend to believe it's possible in T2 because of all the credible accounts. Is there a time limit? I wouldn't assume there is until the actual physiological changes are identified that might prevent regrowth. Other surmountable explanations could just as easily exist. Fatty pancreas and fatty liver seem to be the first hurdles.

I take that back. ACTUALLY the first hurdle is to get and keep BS low because it's sugar toxicity that kills beta cells. Beta cell loss is not from being "overworked", it's sugar toxicity. Just think what would happen if we killed our muscle cells by overworking them? Sounds kind of silly when I think about it. Maybe beta cells workouts (in a normal BS environment) tells them to reproduce or even causes the pancreas to grow.

And this is one study that affirms that...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/t2d-beta-cells-regeneration.1910/

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@JenniferG,
What a GREAT job you're doing :D. Things will just keep getting better and I'm sure you're on the right track. Dr. B. has very good advice about managing units and keeping carbs matched with insulin to minimize BG swings.

As far as pancreas regrowth, I tend to believe it's possible in T2 because of all the credible accounts. Is there a time limit? I wouldn't assume there is until the actual physiological changes are identified that might prevent regrowth. Other surmountable explanations could just as easily exist. Fatty pancreas and fatty liver seem to be the first hurdles.

I take that back. ACTUALLY the first hurdle is to get and keep BS low because it's sugar toxicity that kills beta cells. Beta cell loss is not from being "overworked", it's sugar toxicity. Just think what would happen if we killed our muscle cells by overworking them? Sounds kind of silly when I think about it. Maybe beta cells workouts (in a normal BS environment) tells them to reproduce or even causes the pancreas to grow.

Something I've noted multiple times is the role fasting has to stimulate beta cell reproduction. From what I've read of Dr. Jason Fung he might have information on this. In other places I've read research about mice fasting and then increasing beta cell reproduction.

Given all the pooh-poohing the medical community does about LC, diabetes control, they probably don't give much attention to reversal because they already "know" it's impossible. Again, You're doing great.
Well reversal very very difficult to maintain longterm, for me anyway.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found supplement r-ala very good antitoxin which helped my insulin find its way through the fat cells

A fight between fat cells and beta cells?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love great threads like this.
Hope, is all we need. :)

Yes over the years, I have come to realize that there is much hope for T2D and we need to put the information and knowledge out there.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know not everyone's solution but bariatric surgery does improve insulin resistance and can help those who cannot fight the fat by diet and exercise alone.
I know not a decision taken lightly. Now I've decided it gives me that edge on hope a bit more.
I know Rome wasn't built in a day but the damage diabetes can do in that time can be irreversible.
So dieting hold will be started again in earnest on 1st January'18 for me again. Another 4st off wouldnt be refused or turned away, before my op, but I'm not sure my capabilities but I'm happy to find out.
Hoping op in June or thereafter. (I'm wanting son's stats to take preference).
Onwards and upwards.