BG level too low?

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
Hi Im newly diagnosed type 2. On metformin twice a day. And a statin at night. I was just told by my GP I was getting them. Reading this forum, I didnt know that I could refuse meds. I will stay on them I think until my next appt with the DN, then if alls ok will ask to come off them. Im also trying to lose weight and lost two stone 1 stone before diagnosis (- caused by the T2 methinks) and a stone this last month since diagnosis. Ironically despite sticking to the LCHF diet and eliminating all carbs bar one weetabix in the AM, and walking to and from work last week ( 5 miles a day), I have only lost 7g !!

Any ideas why this is? Muscle build up perhaps?
Also Ive started taking Coconut Oil (1 TBSP) before my evening meal only, and my BG level yesterday was 3.5. Too low I fear? Not quite sure what 'normal' is. My BG before breakfast averages 6.5, but the rest of the day its usually 5.8 or below 5.
Can anyone advise?

SamCNatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The meds you are on shouldn't create the low.
Statin is usually for high cholesterol and metformin helps with insulin resistance and can assist weight loss.
How often are you monitoring blood sugars? If a result doesn't make sense do it again. I had a 1.2 last week and re measuring moments later it was 9.1 so obviously a faulty strip.
A higher reading can often trigger insulin response and a rebound low.
Did you have any symptoms that went with the low?

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
The meds you are on shouldn't create the low.
Statin is usually for high cholesterol and metformin helps with insulin resistance and can assist weight loss.
How often are you monitoring blood sugars? If a result doesn't make sense do it again. I had a 1.2 last week and re measuring moments later it was 9.1 so obviously a faulty strip.
A higher reading can often trigger insulin response and a rebound low.
Did you have any symptoms that went with the low?
Hi there,
Thanks for your response. I hadnt thought of faulty strips, but they have been ok mostly.
I had no symptoms at all, in fact I felt great. Have done since low carbing...or it could be the meds!
Im keeping a record, never the same reading twice, although all are under 6, so that is ok I think,

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, could you please post tomorrow's readings if you can.
Fasting before breakfast, one hour after, two hours and three hours.
If you can, give before lunch and two hours after.
Please post what you ate. We will try and figure out what is going on.
But we can't diagnose you. Just help in understanding the results.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I go on a fast my BG levels can run at 3.5 baseline on the accu meters but this shows as 4.8 on my SD. I wouldn't worry about 3.5 if it is stable. Remember your body is still used to having to pump out lots of insulin to compensate so noe you have a little over reaction but your liver will correct it. By the way stay away from alcohol for a bit as it tends to cause the liver to focus on that and not you levels

Reactions: Fergum10