bg low

ronnie794

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi
i was wondering if this happens to anybody else , today i had porridge and skimmed milk at 10am this i have worked out to 32 carbs.
everything was fine and then about 1pm i started to feel shaky sweaty weak.tested my blood it was 5.2 i know this is normal and
was happy with this, but my question is could my body have gotten used to high sugar .ive never had a reading this low i been testing for 4months now. never going below 6 and been as high as 14. i have been lowcarbing for a week,could this be my body ajusting to the low carbs.i did have to take 2 dextros tablets because i felt terrible. this is the second time this week this has happened,but i had been exercising last time and had to stop when i tested it was 3.9.it just drops so fast 1min fine and the next
feel awful.i am going to keep low carbing

hbA1c 42 5.9% 22/6/12
low carb

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
Yes this has happened to me to, got home from work two weeks ago, felt terrible shakey sweaty tested bg and I had dropped to 4.1 never been so low, had a couple of biscuits and then felt incredibly tired and fell to sleep for 3 hours, that was the second time it had happened I think my body is used to my bs being so high, the highest I have been is 16.4 that was the other night.

SouthernGeneral6512

I had the lowest ever last night just after a longer than usual walk of 4.8 ... felt ill but then again I usually do think it's the 9 pills per day :sick:

ronnie794

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi ya
so glad you both answered my post i was thinking i am trying to do something about the high readings and i.m feeling worse
but i am determined to keep low carbing and i hope the reading will get back to normal

thanks again

Grazer

This is what has been referred to as false hypos". You're body has got used to high BGs and thinks a "5" is low. You shouldn't need to be taking dextrose tablets at 5.2. Your profile says you're "not diabetic", obviously you are. It would help if you told us what type and what meds you're on.

ronnie794

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi grazer
no i,m not diabetic but i have been having fluctuating blood sugars for about 4months now. i got no advice from doctor or practise nurse, her reply to me when i mentioned that 2hrs after a roll and sausage i got 14 bg was that had she eaten the same she would have same response. so after that i had an hbac1 done paid for myself it came back at 42 so i have decided to lowcarb.its only 1st week and i have felt like this twice first time i had breakfast 30g porridge.semiskimmed milk.waited 2hrs and then went on treadmill after 20min had to stop because my legs were like jelly shaky felt clammy.did bg 3.9 i felt staving had 2oatcakes bit cheese,2bananas. after about 20min started to feel a bit better but to be honest i know i was,ent 100%. then the other day again i had eaten breakfast but no exercise i started to feel the same did bg 5.2. i did,ent feel quite as bad as the 1st time but still not right,because i was,ent as bad and because of trying to lowcarb and get some weight off i thought i would try the glucose tabs.
it took about 20min again but started to feel better but really exausted . i was thinking that it was because its only first week of diet.

hbac1 6/12 42 5.9%
40mg simvastin daily
75mg thyroxine daily

s230787

It does sound like diabetes Ronnie, I would get a second opinion.

You say you are doing low carb, what is your daily intake of carbs? oatcakes, porridge, bananas and glucose tabs all contain a considerable amount of carbs, if you need any help give us a shout.