BG perfect 2 hours after eating but then goes up

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been 3 months that I was diagnosed as T1 in honeymoon phase or perhaps LADA. I take Levemir (6 units) and NovoRapid (1:25 carb ratio). My doctor calls this dosage "ridiculous" - probably to make me feel I am not really fully diabetic yet.

In the past I few months I have gradually figured out the essentials of carb counting and am now able to manage my BG levels quite well, also due to the fact that my pancreas seems to have been temporarily resurrected. There is one thing that I am quite puzzled by. No matter what I eat or when I eat (lunch or dinner), my BG levels pretty much go like this:
- Before meal: 5-6
- I inject 2 units of NovoRapid right before I start to eat
- 30 minutes after meal: 7.3
- 1 hour after: 6.1
- 2 hours after 5.1
- 3 hours after: 6.8 (I found that 20 pushups bring my BG back to the 5 to 6 range and then it stays there)

In fact I have just experienced the increase 3 hours after and this and this what I ate for dinner:
- 200g mashed potatoes (30g carbs)
- breast of turkey (baked)
- A slice of whole-wheat bread (20g carbs) with sesame paste (2 teaspoons)
- Rucola salad with a bit of parmesan cheese
A total of 50 to 60 carbs.

Please note that I have experienced an increase in BG also at lunch time and also with other meals than the one above.

Any tips why my BG goes up 3 hours after meals?

ro5iejg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been 3 months that I was diagnosed as T1 in honeymoon phase or perhaps LADA. I take Levemir (6 units) and NovoRapid (1:25 carb ratio). My doctor calls this dosage "ridiculous" - probably to make me feel I am not really fully diabetic yet.

In the past I few months I have gradually figured out the essentials of carb counting and am now able to manage my BG levels quite well, also due to the fact that my pancreas seems to have been temporarily resurrected. There is one thing that I am quite puzzled by. No matter what I eat or when I eat (lunch or dinner), my BG levels pretty much go like this:
- Before meal: 5-6
- I inject 2 units of NovoRapid right before I start to eat
- 30 minutes after meal: 7.3
- 1 hour after: 6.1
- 2 hours after 5.1
- 3 hours after: 6.8 (I found that 20 pushups bring my BG back to the 5 to 6 range and then it stays there)

In fact I have just experienced the increase 3 hours after and this and this what I ate for dinner:
- 200g mashed potatoes (30g carbs)
- breast of turkey (baked)
- A slice of whole-wheat bread (20g carbs) with sesame paste (2 teaspoons)
- Rucola salad with a bit of parmesan cheese
A total of 50 to 60 carbs.

Please note that I have experienced an increase in BG also at lunch time and also with other meals than the one above.

Any tips why my BG goes up 3 hours after meals?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi cz_dave
the peak for a short acting insulin is normally around 90 minutes from dose.
what level are you getting 4 hours and 5 hours after ?

if your BG is back to around your pre meal then everything is working as it should

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi himtoo,

Yes, my BG goes back to normal after 4 to 5 hours. I was just wondering why there is this curve upwards after 3 hours. I suppose it could indeed be related to the insulin becoming less potent during that period while there being still some digestion happening? My endocrinologist suggested the BG rise could happen if I eat fatty food but this is actually not the case I think.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those numbers actually look pretty good to me.

Glucometers have an error of about 4%, which means when comparing 2 readings you could be off my as much as 8% (4% one way for the initial reading, and then 4% the other way on the second), so you have to consider that your meter isn't ALWAYS correct.

Also, everyone digests food at different rates, and processes insulin differently. It looks to mean as if your insulin is peaking a bit before your food digestion peaks, so it doesn't completely counter it. Thus leaving your a bit higher later on, and your basal drops it back down.

Also, when i was on my honeymoon i was very similar, i was 1:22 ration, and it almost didnt matter when i injected prior to a meal, because my beta cells still worked to help bring stuff down. Now its a different story! <30min prior to eating and I will spike over 10mmol/L and stay there for an hour or 2 :/ So enjoy this while you can!

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Diamattic, I think you are right, my digestion could be a little bit slower than the insulin at times. And yes, I realize I realize my own insulin still helps out quite a bit, so I want to use this period to learn as much as I can.

How long did your honeymoon last?