birth control pills

moranaway+

hi all.. im 31 years old well balanced lady and i have a question about birth cotrol pills. im taking them since i was 18 (got the diabetes in the age of 20) i dont think i had any problems with it so far, beside maybe a harder time trying to stay balanced during the days of pauas bewteen boxes. i hear more and more it might be a risk for diabetic women and im thinking about stop taking it... what do you think? thanks..

St4cey

Hi there,

I was advised to change contraception as I was taking a combined pill which increased the risk of cardiovascular problems. It would depend on the pill that you are taking and the risks associated with that pill. I changed to a copper coil and noticed my morning readings have dropped 1-2 mml since then (could be a coincidence).

Your GP/Health Professional will be best to advise. My GP had a list of contraceptive pills, each had a number 1-4 next to it 1 being the lowest and 4 being the highest. My pill (Femodene) was rated a 2, but I still changed.

Hope this helps, good luck
Stacey x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

moranaway+

thanks!!! i must say my doctors here (genicologist, endocrinolog, family doctor...) are giving me blurry answers.. non of them said something specific about my pills. maybe you know something about it- im taking Clair pills which has relatively low doses of hormones and is combined of estradiol and dienogest, in different amount for every few days of the month. im confused.... thank you so much!

St4cey

Sorry I can't help you! Just googled your pill and nothing come of it :(

I'd originally asked my doctor at diagnosis about my pill but she didn't think it was a problem. I then returned 6 months later to a different doctor for some more and she pulled out the chart with the different risks attached to all of them.

I'm sorry I can't help you anymore, I've never heard of your pill here in the UK, best to return and discuss your concerns with them further and you'll hopefully get a more knowledgable practitioner

Good luck
Stacey

LittleWolf

I had the copper coil but it became lodged in my cervix and I ended up having a miscarriage on the last day of Freshers Week. I was in absolute agony for weeks and kept being sent home from the hospital because they missed it on the ultrasound. Do not ever get it if you haven't had a baby yet.

I went on the combined pill and threw up uncontrollably with dizziness so bad I would just lay on my bedroom floor for hours at a time, for 6 months, but without it, endometriosis pain comes back. If I stop smoking whilst taking the pill my blood pressure goes up, like 158/85 (I am 20 and slim)

They all have their pros and cons I guess. I haven't tried a pill other than Cilest though.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I think most contraceptives are trial and error, my GP refused to prescribe the combined pill for me due to risks and she didn't recommend the injection either (but that was because of a potential heart condition that runs in my family), I was prescribed the mini pill, but that made me feel so ill, I couldn't keep it up. She has since recommended the iud (copper coil) or the ius (made from a plastic I think...) the ius has less risks and side effects than the iud, so I may have the ius fitted.

You're best taking what you feel comfortable with and remember that if you're unwell, the pill is not an effective form of contraception (especially if your diabetes is effected)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

moranaway+

thanks ladies!!! helpfull info. im good with the pill, im just worried about potential future risk.. thats why i thought about stop taking it :?:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The combined pill carries risks as you get older, the POP or progesterone only pill is meant to be better. I take Cerazette, no breaks and my periods just stopped dead and have never returned, bargain!!

I had a copper coil and along with it an ectopic pregnancy that nearly took my life due to bleeding internally and requiring emergency open surgery. Wouldn't recommend. The IUS or Mirena coil is meant to be better, I had one after the ectopic but it made me grumpy and moody so I had it removed.

Ali

LittleWolf

Two people in this thread already got pregnant and internal damage from the copper IUD. An ectopic pregnancy is no picnic. I thought my situation was bad.

The Mirena plastic IUD releases hormones into the body where the copper coil is meant to be spermicidal, alter the consistency of your mucus and stop eggs implanting in the uterus.

I was scared off knowing it was so easy of the thing to come out of place and embed itself in you and you have to check the strings are in the right place... And they can poke you... And Him..

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Birth control is definitely each to their own.
I took Cerezette and I didn't get along with it at all, I had heavy, painful periods for weeks at a time and I felt moody and down and I had more or less all of the common side effects that were listed.

But, as you can see, a lot of people on this thread love it. The great thing about birth control, you can always stop it if you don't like it.

Implants, IUD, IUS they can all be removed. Pills can be stopped etc.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

LittleWolf

Doesnt the implant have to be surgically removed? I remember the insertion and removal of my IUD being THE most painful experiences of my entire life. No exaggeration, I cannot explain to you the PAIN that radiated throughout my body. I went cold and sweaty, I felt like I was going to throw up, then couldn't walk for 3 days afterwards. Was carried
Out of the office screaming and now I never ever want to give birth if it is anywhere near that feeling. I was trying to crawl up the bloody walls..

For 3 months straight after insertion I bled heavily. I could hardly move, go to the toilet, sex was out of the question. In fact I was struggling to pass urine or stools so bad (could not clench any pelvic muscles) I had to be prescribed 3 kinds of laxatives and ended up with severe UTI

As horrifically nauseous as the pills made me at least I knew it would 'only' be 6 hours or so of not being able to see straight before it wore off if I didn't take another one.

It took WEEKS for someone to realise what happened to me and to LISTEN and get it out of me. In that timeframe I could barely breathe without electric shock pain shooting through my pelvis and into my chest almost. At least with pills I could stop taking them myself, but an IUD doesn't just come out in 2 minutes when you don't fancy it anymore.

Just warning you. It's your own choice of course but I am genuinely traumatised by my experience with the IUD. It's it on my medical records- the doctors who inserted and removed it covered it up and claim they don't do them at the surgery at all...

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That just sucks. I would never, ever have a coil again. It only stops pregnancy in the womb, if it happens in the tubes then like me you end up with an ectopic. Cerazette wins the day for me but not for everybody!

Ali

St4cey

Contraception is clearly a minefield and each person reacts differently to each method, just like each of us respond differently to carbs, medication, exercise and insulin as Diabetics. It's a matter of weighing up risks and benefits to the individual and making an informed choice

;) x

elaine77

Little wolf your last post sounds like my last pregnancy! Lol! Hell on earth and a 9lb 11oz baby to boot!

I was on Microgynon30 from the age of 15 til I fell pregnant with my daughter whilst taking it (correctly i might add) at 19! They then put me on to Yasmin after I had her which I had a massive allergic reaction to and then finally Marvelon which I have been on ever since.

My GP and DSN have not mentioned anything at all about my pill but there is NO way I am having anything inserted or implanted into me it makes me shudder just thinking about it. I'm going to be TERRIBLE when it comes to having to inject insulin, not sure i can cope with it TBH!

I have been getting migraines recently though really badly and have headaches frequently so when I tell the DSN this no doubt they will look at my contraception, it seems to be the first place they look for blame when it comes to headaches... I have heard some awful horror stories about both the coil and the injection (oh no way am I having the injection!) and so Im afraid I will have to hope my pill is low risk! Fingers crossed.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Marvelon is a combined pill so it may be you could try a progesterone only pill or POP as they are known.

Ali

kate90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was on the combined pill (Yasmin) for a month and my bloods when through the roof.

I've started on the mini pill not (Desomono) but im worried my bloods are going to shoot up again. I've only been on it for three days.

If anyone has any advice who has Type 1 diabetes and is on Desomono or any type of mini pill, please let me know.

Thank you :)