Birthday treats

Rich1889

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it's my birthday tomorrow for the first time since being diabetic. Everyone brings something into the office and I'd still like to do the same bit I don't think last year's trip to Krispy Kreme would be wise!

Any thoughts of what I could bring either healthy or that's easy to count? Thinking tray bake or even a cheese board?

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

Firstly, there is no confirmation that type 1 is lifestyle related - you have not eaten too many Krispy Kremes and you can eat more (provided you carb count and inject).
However, I like your idea of mixing the birthday treats up a bit. If you want to have something lower carbs, then cheeseboard is a good idea ... although the higher fat may put some people off; you could stick with the savoury theme and go for some antipasta type with olives and hummus and carrot sticks; I've seen some people provide sushi but that could be a risk as some people don't like the idea of raw fish; if you are just interested in knowing the carbs then most packaged cakes are suitable; if you want something slightly less sweet, you could bake something yourself and reduce the sugar (something I often do); or you could provide a large bowl of interesting fruit (but you'd have to do a little research on carb content beforehand ... just Google "carbs in <x>")

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I love the idea of a birthday (cheese) cake, complete with candles :) Think of a round of cheddar/brie !

However as Helen has said it's not necessary to avoid the real cake unless you're being conscientious about avoiding a sugar spike, just ensure you manage the insulin dose and enjoy your day :)

Reactions: lou258

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So it's my birthday tomorrow for the first time since being diabetic. Everyone brings something into the office and I'd still like to do the same bit I don't think last year's trip to Krispy Kreme would be wise!

Any thoughts of what I could bring either healthy or that's easy to count? Thinking tray bake or even a cheese board?

Thanks
Does everyone bring something or just the birthday person?

I like the cheese, or meat an dcheesr tray as well as hummus and veg. One of my favs is chocolate covered strawberries.

Of course guacamole usually goes over well.

Not everyone likes to eat loads of sugar ( crispy cremes) somhaveing some other options might be nice.

But it's your birthday so do what suits you, you're comfortable with and what makes you happy!!

Happy birthday!

Rich1889

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, happy to carb count and match but it's the spikes of a donut that wouldnt be so good! I do eat sweet treats so not adverse to something of that style. Home baking sounds sensible so I can count and control, anything you would reccomened (that's quite easy to make tonight?).
Prefer pre cut treats so no need to weigh or eyeball wrong like a slice of cake. Quite fancy being a bit different!!