Blood glucose meter readings

Malcolm.Smith

Recently I was lucky enough to win one of the breeze blood glucose monitors which is great as the only thing I've ever won was a bottle of Hi Karate aftershave in a raffle when I was 5! :D .

Anyway I digress!. My old meter a freestyle lite is still knocking about and yesterday as I was doing a blood test and decided to compare the 2. My old freestyle lite which I've used for years (not the same one mind, this ones only 6 months old) said I was 5.2 but the new breeze meter said I was 10.5!. That's quite a jump from the same drop of blood. I now don't really know which ones telling the truth. Has anyone else had this experience and how can I find out which one if any is giving an accurate reading?

georglette

Hi Malcolm!

I won one of the Breeze meters too (like yourself I was very excited). Actually I didn't technically win it - they sent me a letter saying "sorry, you haven't won a meter, but we're sending you one anyway". Odd, but I digress...

Anyway, I'm sure my meter came with a test solution in order to calibrate it for first use - have you done that? I got the same reading from the Breeze as from my Accu-Check. You can definitely get test solutions for each meter, but I don't know how you go about it - ask your DSN/doctor I guess.

As an aside I found the Breeze to be massive, and more fiddly to use than the Accu-Check (I can do readings with that whilst driving/eating/cartwheeling across meadows). I guess it's just what you get used to though!

Best of luck finding out. If in doubt I'd say take some more readings - it may have been that you just got one that was off. Or perhaps you have dodgy blood :D

Regards,
George

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I think you can get the test solution by phoning the manufacturer. They may even send it for free!

nickcave1

these meters are not that accurate and a pound a strip the nhs is becoming aware that for diabetics who have high readings almost pointless. hospital hbac are much more accurate and diabetics are no different to anyone else you know if what you eat is healthy. so a diabetic can kid themselves that a high reading on friday because they had a chocolate binge thursday is a one off. an overall reading of 8 from an hbac test is better than 15 one day and 6 every other day on a pin prick test.