Blood levels after eating

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quickish one, what blood sugar levels do you aim for after eating?

I seem to spike quite high an hour or so after food then an hour and a half later im back down to a reasonable level.

The other day i was 5.5 mmol before breakfast then 2 hrs 12.5mmol. Half hour later I was 6.5 mmol. Im worried about this spike but Im still in honeymoon period so I'm a little reluctant to take a lot of fast acting insulin.

Do many of you manage to stop this spike? Or is it normal?

Cheers John.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just a quickish one, what blood sugar levels do you aim for after eating?

I seem to spike an hour or so after food then an hour and a half later im back down to a reasonable level.

The other day i was 5.5 mmol before breakfast then 2 hrs 12.5mmol. Half hour later I was 6.5 mmol. Im worried about this spike but Im still in honeymoon period so I'm a little reluctant to take a lot of fast acting insulin.

Do many of you manage to stop this spike? Or is it normal?

Cheers John.

The timing of 'my' bolus injection has to be varied according to what I'm planning to eat.

As far as breakfast goes, I've been waking with high glucose levels lately (but that's another issue) and taking my bolus 45mins before my porridge. This is usually when I see the curve on my Libre heading downwards and I know the insulin has started working. This normally keeps my rise within 3mmol or so.

I understand that you feel anxious and you are probably doing the right thing by not taking too much rapid acting insulin at the moment.

Reactions: Jc3131

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree with @urbanracer - in order to get a reasonable post meal reading, I have to change the length of time by which I pre-bolus. Many people find mornings to be a particularly insulin resistant time, so I tend to take my insulin before getting out of bed, then go and make my breakfast, have a shower, get dressed, and make my lunch and tea ready to leave, then eat my breakfast.

Have you experimented with different foods for breakfast?

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I don't take any insulin for breakfast because I know I will by hypo not long after. 2 Slices of brown bread toast is all I have. After around 3 hours I'm back to a normal level, but I know im spiking quite high an hour or two after.

I tried Weetabix, 3-4 Weetabix with no insulin, but my body seems to throw loads of insulin out when I eat this and my bloods drop to the low 4's two to three hours after.

I don't know whether to inject and have something more substantial.