Blood Sugar Control Awful This Week - Weather Or Illness?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My blood sugar has been pretty bad for the last week. It doesn't help that I've been drinking diet/no carb/sugar free drinks more, which annoyingly spikes my blood sugar. I'm not a masochist but I've been stuck in places where only these drinks (not tap water) were readily available.

The last couple of days I've been careful to avoid these drinks, but my levels have been stupid. I'm feeling pretty rough but not sure if I'm actually ill or just feeling the effects of high blood sugar. Also it's been very warm, so not sure if that's ha big an impact too.

Can anyone share their experiences of unexplained high levels (hopefully temporarily)?

I'm on insulin, plus metformin plus forxiga. Upping the insulin is barely touching it...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sweaty betty I don't drink sugar free much just the odd can here and there, however I don't tend to get any BG spike when I do, so not sure this is the culprit. How are your BG levels and is there any pattern to the highs ?

Have you changed your insulin, if you're running high and it's unexplained this is the first place I would start, feeling ill and running high goes hand in hand, so may not be illness necessarily, but if you're putting new/fresh insulin in and it's still not going down then could be infection/illness.

I also find when running high I have to increase my correction doses as I become more insulin resistant the higher I go.

Can you speak to a DSN to discuss ?