Blood sugar readings are 18.5

Lisagm1974

Not checked my bloods in a while, little bit in denial. Had a funny turn earlier, I went lightheaded like I was about to pass out then I was sweating really bad. Came home and lay on the bed for a hour and it seemed to pass. I'm also menopausal. I tested my blood it was 15.1 had some sushi tested it 2 hrs later 18.5. No symptoms though like thirst or peeing a lot. Feel like I don't know my own body anymore

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you check the amount of carbohydrate in the sushi?
Rice or any grain hits my blood hard.
What is your usual regime for controlling blood glucose?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sushi tends to be very spiky: it's not just the rice, but the type of vinegar used in the rice that makes it problematic. The initial reading of 15 might be more of a cause for concern though- it would be worth identifying why you were so high initially. There's no need to panic of course, but these numbers will not do for the long term.

KathyMoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not checked my bloods in a while, little bit in denial. Had a funny turn earlier, I went lightheaded like I was about to pass out then I was sweating really bad. Came home and lay on the bed for a hour and it seemed to pass. I'm also menopausal. I tested my blood it was 15.1 had some sushi tested it 2 hrs later 18.5. No symptoms though like thirst or peeing a lot. Feel like I don't know my own body anymore
Ive been in denial for years. My sugars remain between 8 and 11 despite efforts with diet. Im on maximum tablets of metformin sitagliptin and dapagliflozin. Im also mid menopause. Night sweats are my worst symptom of that. I dont have a very good attitude towards food anymore. All the things i like are pretty much no go. But my will power is not as good as my desire for comfort food - its a vicious circle.
I know this prob doesnt help your specific problem but wanted to let you know that you are not alone and spikes are common. (Well they are for me!) I had my covid jab yesterday and this morning my bs was 16. I had pfizer and that contains sucrose. Cant win!