Blood Sugar Wont Move

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you get time where you have to correct a few times to try bring sugars down from a high my sugar is 13mmol corrected with 3units fast acting i took 2nd dose of correction as first attempt didnt bring it down. does anyone else experince this?.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
do you get time where you have to correct a few times to try bring sugars down from a high my sugar is 13mmol corrected with 3units fast acting i took 2nd dose of correction as first attempt didnt bring it down. does anyone else experince this?.
How long did you wait to take the second dose? If you're relatively high, you tend to find that you need more insulin to come down, and it doesn't usually take effect for an hour or so.

Reactions: Knikki

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i waitied for 1hour and half then took second dose
The golden rule of diabetes is to be very patient. You want answers fast but this is not the case with diabetes. You have to wait at least 2.5 hours to see where you are going or you are risking to end up in a bad hypo. I find that the biggest drop by a correction dose occurs in the second hour after injection

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
NovoRapid/Sluggish insulin??? Can take AGES to have any effect. I am on Fiasp and that gets into your system really quick. You may find yourself going hypo. Keep checking your bloods

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
one thing i forgot to say i got a ulcer in mouth thats getting better im not sure if this could be a cause of my sugar not going down

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
You sure the heat hasn't spoiled your insulin ? I've experienced this a couple of times in the summer months

K

Knikki

Yep and as @porl69 if your on Nova Rapid I find that the higher up the scale you are the less effective it becomes. I find it works well between 5 - 11 anything about that it is struggle.

Beware though of putting to much insulin in as, I find, that it can bring you down VERY quickly and can be in hypoland before you know it.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I take extra insulin combined with moderate exercise to bring mine down quickly.
This works for me every time.
I only point this out because I have been criticised in the past for recommending exercise because apparently exercise sends sugar levels up for other people.
Just do extra tests to be on the safe side.

I wish you well.

Tony

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may suggest that you drink more water than usual. I find that this makes both basal and bolus more active and up to my expected levels.