Blood sugars 17.2 mmol/l

A11an

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bloods up until christmas were around 9mmol/l but then Ozempic was unavailable and now I'm getting a constant 17mmol/l. I've had blood test done at my surgery and they've come back at Hba1c 9.2%, I don't really understand the difference between mmol/l from my Accu trak instant and the Hba1c doctors result?

The doctor has always said not to test my bloods but after urinating really frequent, being thirsty and my vision got worse I thought I'd check it regularly. Should I be worried in the short term as I have to wait until the end of the month for an appointment, I didn't think the Ozempic was doing much for me buy since not having it everything seems to be going wrong, it doesn't look like it'll be available anytime soon.

Should I tell my doctor I'm getting 17mmol/l readings daily?

Thanks, sorry to waffle!

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bloods up until christmas were around 9mmol/l but then Ozempic was unavailable and now I'm getting a constant 17mmol/l. I've had blood test done at my surgery and they've come back at Hba1c 9.2%, I don't really understand the difference between mmol/l from my Accu trak instant and the Hba1c doctors result?

The doctor has always said not to test my bloods but after urinating really frequent, being thirsty and my vision got worse I thought I'd check it regularly. Should I be worried in the short term as I have to wait until the end of the month for an appointment, I didn't think the Ozempic was doing much for me buy since not having it everything seems to be going wrong, it doesn't look like it'll be available anytime soon.

Should I tell my doctor I'm getting 17mmol/l readings daily?

Thanks, sorry to waffle!
Yes, please do tell your doctor. when your sugar is high. you will urinate more frequently and of course your vision will be effected too from the high sugar levels. but when you bring down your levels im sure your symptoms will go away very quick.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had blood test done at my surgery and they've come back at Hba1c 9.2%, I don't really understand the difference between mmol/l from my Accu trak instant and the Hba1c doctors result?

To answer your hba1c question -

Hba1c measures the amount of sugar that attaches to your red blood cells. As they last 3 months (for most people) it gives a rough guess as to your average blood sugar over that period

If your red blood cells have an unusually short or long lifespan, or you have various blood conditions, it can be inaccurate as a test for diabetes, and there is also the issue that there are two measuring systems for it. % and mmol/mol. Your 9.2% is 77mmol/mol and corresponds to an average blood sugar of 12 mmol/L over the 3 months before the test

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@A11an When I was diagnosed I had blood glucose levels of 17.1 and HbA1c of 91 - I was told that was very bad. If you were medicated but now are not it might indicate that your HbA1c numbers are on the increase.
Do you restrict carbohydrates?

A11an

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@A11an When I was diagnosed I had blood glucose levels of 17.1 and HbA1c of 91 - I was told that was very bad. If you were medicated but now are not it might indicate that your HbA1c numbers are on the increase.
Do you restrict carbohydrates?
Since being diagnosed 10 years ago I have trued to be good with sweat food etc and my bloods have always been within whilst taking metformin and lately Ozempic, stupidly I've never really thought much about carbs, obviously this is the problem but why it seems much worse now I don't know.

A11an

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update, I done a econsult this morning and got a call to go to the surgery, I have to take Gliclazide to bring my bloods down, also I'll try and cut some carbs etc. Hopefully I can sort it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update, I done a econsult this morning and got a call to go to the surgery, I have to take Gliclazide to bring my bloods down, also I'll try and cut some carbs etc. Hopefully I can sort it.
As Gliclizide can cause hypos take care to reduce your carbs slowly, testing your BG just before eating and 2 hrs after will tell you if you’ve got the balance right. A number of 4 or below is considered a hypo so if you get numbers in that range then treat with a small amount of carbs, don’t go crazy with carbs though, just enough to take your BG to the mid to high 5s. When I was on Gliclizide and experienced hypos I would use a couple of jelly sweets or 2 glucose tablets and test 15 minutes after. If my BG was back in range I would eat about 5g of slower acting carbs such as a cracker.

Also if you start to feel “off” as in light headed or dizzy, shaky its best to test to make sure your not having a hypo. If you drive make sure you are at least 5 before you drive.

As you reduce your carbs you maybe able with the help of your GP or HCP to reduce or stop the Glic completely. This is what I did over a period of time. If you start to experience regular hypos or feel you are “feeding” your hypos rather than hunger it could be worth speaking to your GP about a change in dose

• Useful
Reactions: A11an and Antje77

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make sure you carry fast acting carbs like jelly babies or glucotabs at all times whilst taking Gliclazide, as it can cause a hypo (your blood sugar going too low, which requires the fast acting carbs to treat).

Your surgery should give you a meter and strips to test your blood sugar whilst you're on this medication. If they don't, ask for one.

You also need to notify DVLA when you start using Gliclazide.

Reactions: A11an and Antje77