Blood sugars all over the place

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
I have been diabetic for three months now ..type 2 diet and exercise and i am a low carb diet ..i all so get cluster headaches ..the last few days my bgs have dropped to 3.5 3.7 and 3.8 each time i get a blinding headache as well ..then this afternoon i get a reading of 12.0 and another blinding headache ..my last 2 readings were 5.7 pre and post meal and can see no reason for these readings ..the low readings have all ways come in the evenings ..i all so drive hgv for a living can any one help because its freaking me out.

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is getting silly now ...pre dinner at 5 oclock my bg was 12,o !!!!!!! and that came out of nowhere i had a blinding headache after the meal so went and layed down ..i missed the 2 hour check and tested at 8-15 and it had dropped like a stone to 4.3 !!!!!!!! am going to check in an hour to see what it is ....if any one can tell me whats going on i would be most grateful

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is getting silly now ...pre dinner at 5 oclock my bg was 12,o !!!!!!! and that came out of nowhere i had a blinding headache after the meal so went and layed down ..i missed the 2 hour check and tested at 8-15 and it had dropped like a stone to 4.3 !!!!!!!! am going to check in an hour to see what it is ....if any one can tell me whats going on i would be most grateful
I don't have a clue about cluster headaches though I suffered recurring mild headaches when my blood glucose levels were bouncing up and down all the time.
What is your hba1c? What is your fasting pre meal normally?
You are not on meds, so why are you going hyper then hypo? They are close enough to be hypos!
Are you drinking enough water, getting enough salt?
Any other symptoms?

Reactions: 5 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't have a clue about cluster headaches though I suffered recurring mild headaches when my blood glucose levels were bouncing up and down all the time.
What is your hba1c? What is your fasting pre meal normally?
You are not on meds, so why are you going hyper then hypo? They are close enough to be hypos!
Are you drinking enough water, getting enough salt?
Any other symptoms?
My HbA1c was 7.8 got my three month review at the end of the month //fbgs can be any where between 5 and 7...drinking about 3 ltrs a day and having salt in my diet ..no symptoms apart from the headaches the first time i thought it was because my bg had gone up but that wasn`t the case

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nowt to go on there!
My HbA1c was 7.8 got my three month review at the end of the month //fbgs can be any where between 5 and 7...drinking about 3 ltrs a day and having salt in my diet ..no symptoms apart from the headaches the first time i thought it was because my bg had gone up but that wasn`t the case

Just don't know, why you aren't in control!
Do you think your hba1c will be near normal levels?
Maybe, if you went into ketosis and really kept your blood glucose levels in between 5 and 6mmols, you might see a difference! You do need to be careful if you do!

Reactions: 5 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nowt to go on there!

Just don't know, why you aren't in control!
Do you think your hba1c will be near normal levels?
Maybe, if you went into ketosis and really kept your blood glucose levels in between 5 and 6mmols, you might see a difference! You do need to be careful if you do!
I have a feeling its going to be higher ..i can`t understand why its only jut started doing this ..my other concern is if it drops even lower i get no warning and i have an accident while driving:(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a feeling its going to be higher ..i can`t understand why its only jut started doing this ..my other concern is if it drops even lower i get no warning and i have an accident while driving:(
Sorry mate, no clue for me unless you have changed your low carb amounts or too much protein!
Maybe something else is affecting your blood glucose levels!

Control is the key!
Yes you are right to be concerned, because you shouldn't hypo, unless you have an insulin problem!

I don't know what to suggest other than go to your GP and ask for more tests!

Reactions: 4 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks any way

Mandyhend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diabetic for three months now ..type 2 diet and exercise and i am a low carb diet ..i all so get cluster headaches ..the last few days my bgs have dropped to 3.5 3.7 and 3.8 each time i get a blinding headache as well ..then this afternoon i get a reading of 12.0 and another blinding headache ..my last 2 readings were 5.7 pre and post meal and can see no reason for these readings ..the low readings have all ways come in the evenings ..i all so drive hgv for a living can any one help because its freaking me out.

I have type 2 diabetes, which is as yet not under control, but am in the process of monitoring medication with gp. Gp has also said the stress I am under is also causing my bgs to be higher (something to do with the brain). That could be one reason. The other reason could be your cluster headaches, maybe it is the onset of the attack that is causing extreme stress and raising your sugar levels, I only know this as my dad suffers with chronic cluster headaches and was at one point injecting 15 sumatriptan in one day as they were constantly coming on (needless to say, he ended up in hospital for. Few weeks) You should discuss all these things with your gp as it seems you are borderline type 2 (as my dad is) and maybe going on a low carb diet is not so urgent to do yet. Best of luck with everything. (Ask your gp about lithium for your cch, it is working well for my dad, he. Hasn't had one for 2 years now.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have type 2 diabetes, which is as yet not under control, but am in the process of monitoring medication with gp. Gp has also said the stress I am under is also causing my bgs to be higher (something to do with the brain). That could be one reason. The other reason could be your cluster headaches, maybe it is the onset of the attack that is causing extreme stress and raising your sugar levels, I only know this as my dad suffers with chronic cluster headaches and was at one point injecting 15 sumatriptan in one day as they were constantly coming on (needless to say, he ended up in hospital for. Few weeks) You should discuss all these things with your gp as it seems you are borderline type 2 (as my dad is) and maybe going on a low carb diet is not so urgent to do yet. Best of luck with everything. (Ask your gp about lithium for your cch, it is working well for my dad, he. Hasn't had one for 2 years now.
HI its not the high bgs that worry me i can deal with that ...its the sudden drop in the last few days i get no warning that they have dropped .i`m lucky to have court it in the 3s other wise i dont know how far they would have gone

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I don't know what's causing this problem, so I suggest you see your doctor. If it's a choice between risking a vehicle crash and taking a day off to see if that helps, I know what I would do. I hope things improve soon, good luck.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well i went to see the doctor this afternoon ..what a total waste of time showed her my bg readings and she said you won`t get hypoglycemia because they won`t fall below 3 but what if i do ,,then you will get the shakes and blurred vision ...by that time it will be to late ...then i asked her about the high readings because they have gone as high as 12 in the last few days and all i got was don`t worry about it !!!!!!!! ..then i got told off for over testing and that is on my medical records and in her next breath she gives me a 100 test strips ..then i asked her for some more tramadol for my headaches and she said your taking Amitriptyline its one or the other because they can react with each other badly so i went with the tramadol ..and my own doctor gave me them !!!!!
so now i have to wait and see my doctor on the 1st september

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i went to see the doctor this afternoon ..what a total waste of time showed her my bg readings and she said you won`t get hypoglycemia because they won`t fall below 3 but what if i do ,,then you will get the shakes and blurred vision ...by that time it will be to late ...then i asked her about the high readings because they have gone as high as 12 in the last few days and all i got was don`t worry about it !!!!!!!! ..then i got told off for over testing and that is on my medical records and in her next breath she gives me a 100 test strips ..then i asked her for some more tramadol for my headaches and she said your taking Amitriptyline its one or the other because they can react with each other badly so i went with the tramadol ..and my own doctor gave me them !!!!!
so now i have to wait and see my doctor on the 1st september

Oldman, your nurse's statement that ".... you will get...." isn't necessarily true. I tend to run low. I just seems to be how I am, but aside from being a bit freaked out by it the first few times, I'm absolutely fine. I'm currently using the Libre, which takes readings every 15 minutes or so, so it's a wonderful insight. Last night is the first night in ages when I don't appear to have gone into the 2s at all. I go to sleep relaxed and wake relaxed and refreshed. Some of us cope differently to low numbers.

What is the lowest number you have seen, and aside from a bit shocked or concerned, how did you feel?

I do appreciate as a commercial driver you need to be careful, but if your signature block is accurate, and you're not taking any medication, as serious hypo is unlikely.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oldman, your nurse's statement that ".... you will get...." isn't necessarily true. I tend to run low. I just seems to be how I am, but aside from being a bit freaked out by it the first few times, I'm absolutely fine. I'm currently using the Libre, which takes readings every 15 minutes or so, so it's a wonderful insight. Last night is the first night in ages when I don't appear to have gone into the 2s at all. I go to sleep relaxed and wake relaxed and refreshed. Some of us cope differently to low numbers.

What is the lowest number you have seen, and aside from a bit shocked or concerned, how did you feel?

I do appreciate as a commercial driver you need to be careful, but if your signature block is accurate, and you're not taking any medication, as serious hypo is unlikely.
Hi the lowest i have gone is 3.5 and didn`t know any thing until i tested before i had some thing to eat apart from a blinding headache

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi the lowest i have gone is 3.5 and didn`t know any thing until i tested before i had some thing to eat apart from a blinding headache

Do you always test when you have your headaches? If you don't, it probably makes sense to do so, just in case there might be any links at all with bloods.

Provided you felt fine, and you're not taking any medication, in your shoes, I'd certainly keep an eye on it, and make notes on when they occur, what I'd eaten and how I felt. With luck, you may just be one of us who runs quite low, when you're in a healthy state.

I'm extremely well, and my last HbA1c was a neat little number. (All my HbA1cs results, since diagnosis, are noted in my signature.)

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you always test when you have your headaches? If you don't, it probably makes sense to do so, just in case there might be any links at all with bloods.

Provided you felt fine, and you're not taking any medication, in your shoes, I'd certainly keep an eye on it, and make notes on when they occur, what I'd eaten and how I felt. With luck, you may just be one of us who runs quite low, when you're in a healthy state.

I'm extremely well, and my last HbA1c was a neat little number. (All my HbA1cs results, since diagnosis, are noted in my signature.)
Yes i all ways test when i get a headache but some thing the doctor said today about the 2 different meds i`m taking can interact with each other and one of them iv`e only taking for 3 weeks and it takes about 2 weeks to get in to my system and the highs and lows have only started this week ..its just a thought but

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Yes i all ways test when i get a headache but some thing the doctor said today about the 2 different meds i`m taking can interact with each other and one of them iv`e only taking for 3 weeks and it takes about 2 weeks to get in to my system and the highs and lows have only started this week ..its just a thought but
That's a good thought. I have read that when trying to diagnose a new symptom or set of symptoms, doctors are trained to first consider any medications and recent medication changes. What are your medications?

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a good thought. I have read that when trying to diagnose a new symptom or set of symptoms, doctors are trained to first consider any medications and recent medication changes. What are your medications?
Tramadol 50mg capsules and Amitriptyline 10mg both for the headaches..have stopped the Amitriptyline as of today

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tramadol 50mg capsules and Amitriptyline 10mg both for the headaches..have stopped the Amitriptyline as of today
I've taken both of those. Tramadol did nothing for my pain so I never took it again. I take Amitriptyline (have never taken both together). I find it a useful med to help with long term pain management, and also it is said to improve the quality of sleep, which helps a number of things. I take 10mg at night. The higher the dose, the greater the side effects.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens after a few days when this medication change has settled down. The website www.drugs.com has really detailed info about interactions and side effects, so it might be fruitful to check out what it says about both meds.

Reactions: 3 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've taken both of those. Tramadol did nothing for my pain so I never took it again. I take Amitriptyline (have never taken both together). I find it a useful med to help with long term pain management, and also it is said to improve the quality of sleep, which helps a number of things. I take 10mg at night. The higher the dose, the greater the side effects.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens after a few days when this medication change has settled down. The website www.drugs.com has really detailed info about interactions and side effects, so it might be fruitful to check out what it says about both meds.
Thanks will have a look...i take the Tramadol when ever a headache starts but they are getting less affective now ..will be interesting to see what happen when one of them is out of my system