Body Clock(s) Out of Sync

witan

A friend has just been diagnosed type 2, he's relatively healthy if just a few pounds overweight. His diet is a bit erratic primarily due to being on night work for the last few years.

I've seen posts in the past from T2's who feel that night/shift working has caused/exasperated their condition. Night work can certainly disrupt one or more of our body clocks which are known to have a significant impact on our metabolism, but night work probably also hides many other dietary and functional problems.

There are a couple of reports about the effect of body clocks.
http://www.physorg.com/news107778760.html
http://www.physorg.com/news196087690.html

These seem to focus on genetic abnormalities of the body clocks, I wonder if behavior could also cause changes that may then lead to disease. Is there a higher risk of diabetes for night workers simply because they work nights and the body clocks can't cope? What about (business) travelers suffering from almost continuous jet lag with sleeping and eating patterns disrupted, new babies and all those sleepless nights...?

In our very diverse, global community we must have a cross section of members who do night work, shifts, travel or are enjoying feeding babies in the middle of the night :D
Could any of these have triggered your diabetes and does it make it harder to control?

Looking forward to your comments...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I worked all sorts of shifts over a period of 27+ years. 6-2pm, 2-10pm, 10-6am and various mixed patterns involving short changeovers, finish at 10pm then back again for 6am the following day !
I was once told that the body clock takes at least three weeks to adjust to a new sleeping pattern etc.....so how does that work when you change shifts EVERY week ?

Then I got diagnosed with Diabetes. However my job was also extremely stressful on a daily basis. I have no idea if it was my body clock being all over the place that caused it or just the daily stress. I favour the latter......but who knows ?

Ken

witan

Hi Ken,
I suspect that you had stress on top of stress, as that sort of work pattern would surely have caused the body metabolic stress, while the job had psycological and/or physical stress - no wonder you're like you are :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
witan said:
Hi Ken,
I suspect that you had stress on top of stress, as that sort of work pattern would surely have caused the body metabolic stress, while the job had psycological and/or physical stress - no wonder you're like you are :lol:

:lol: Me....I'm fine. They only let me out with two guards now....much better than before. :D
I have a good memory though........ :twisted:

Ken, slightly damaged ! :wink:

C

catherinecherub

There are many people who do shift work including emergency services, doctors, nurses, on call tradesmen, shop workers, the list is endless. A 9-5 job is not feasable for many.
Whilst it is not an ideal way to spend your working life, it has to be done.
Like Ken, I have done shifts throughout my working life and sometimes in an erratic way to include night and day shifts in the same week. It might or might not be the cause of my diabetes.
This article suggests it could even be related to bones :?: :?:

Could diabetes be in your bones?

http://biosciencetechnology.com/News/Fe ... ur-bones-/