Boiled v mashed potato

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regular 1hr and 2hr testing has shown I can manage a few chips, 2 new potatoes, or 2 roast potatoes with little or no effect. No mash though. Not tried a baked one.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat also slows the carb absorption.
Unfortunately, this means I have to add butter to new potatoes and eat chips (fries) rather than mashed or boiled.
It's an ordeal.

Mind you, I rarely eat them at all, and try to stick to 5 chips when I do.

Reactions: 2 people

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so are new potatoes better than the ordinary type? And what about sweet potato ,, that's supposed to be healthy ??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the only difference between any sort of cooked potato, including sweet potato, is the GI. Put simply, the harder the spud, the slower it releases the glucose. If this is wrong, please correct me. If the potato is fried or roasted in fat, it will take longer to digest.

mpe

Fat also slows the carb absorption.
Unfortunately, this means I have to add butter to new potatoes and eat chips (fries) rather than mashed or boiled.

Chips may not have that much fat with them as well as it possibly being from polyunsaturated oil. Both of which are down to a misunderstanding of "healthy".

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chips may not have that much fat with them as well as it possibly being from polyunsaturated oil. Both of which are down to a misunderstanding of "healthy".

Does anyone think chips are healthy?

Edited to add:

Actually, I take that back, I was recently confidently informed by someone that 2 large portions of chips a day = 4 portions of veg, and 4 of your 5 a day - because potatoes are vegetables :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

We make our own chips, and deep fry in rapeseed oil. The oil is changed frequently. I can't speak for oven bakes or chip shop chips - never eat them.