Bolus for chicken stir fry and what can be eaten without insulin?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Errr did you say no carb? Hehe

I can eat plain chicken, steak, cheese the basal seems to cover very low carb stuff, but then I’m only on 10-20g a day so everything is VLC
Well I worked out that 100g of stir fry was 6g of carbs which added to the soy sauce made me think 1 unit was enough,going on a ratio of 10g carbs = 1 unit but sadly it wasn’t.
I do try and stick to around 50g of carbs a day but maybe that’s too much for me. Problem is I like vegetables, salad & berries. Lol!

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both protein and carbohydrates will affect blood glucose levels, with higher carbs the protein is typically ignored.
The volume of food also has an impact on blood glucose. Dosing is going to be trial and error ... we all have different responses to different foods :(

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and filly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About 30 mins before my dinner.
I’m learning that Novorapid doesn’t actually need to be taken 10 mins before eating!
Sorry Fiona, I meant the hour you had dinner..? (dinner was served.)

Though it is helpful regarding how long prior to eating, you dosed.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Did you put any sauce with your stir fry? Soy, black bean sauce etc. as these can contain sugar. I ate m&s plain roast chicken, or so I though, when I checked my BG it was quite high so checked the nutritional list and the cheeky blighters had cooked the chicken with maltodextrin :rolleyes:
It really annoys me that food that would never had those ingredients in them, sometimes do. Even meat from a farm etc.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Fiona, I meant the hour you had dinner..? (dinner was served.)

Though it is helpful regarding how long prior to eating, you dosed.
Sorry Jaylee, I misunderstood.
I actually sat down to eat at 6.30pm, so I did my injection at 6pm and was doing a correction dose at 9.30pm as my sugars didn’t seem to be coming down.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
You need what you need at the end of the day, we don’t fail, we just find another way not to do it next time. You are doing great.
Well I worked out that 100g of stir fry was 6g of carbs which added to the soy sauce made me think 1 unit was enough,going on a ratio of 10g carbs = 1 unit but sadly it wasn’t.
I do try and stick to around 50g of carbs a day but maybe that’s too much for me. Problem is I like vegetables, salad & berries. Lol!

Reactions: jonathan183

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Given the degree of overlap between the two threads, the moderator team have merged the two thread "bolus for chicken stir fry?" and "So what can I eat without insulin?" into one thread " Bolus for chicken stir fry and what can be eaten without insulin?".