Books to buy any suggestions ?

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Everyone

Got a Waterstones voucher for Christmas so was wondering if any of you had any good books / suggestions

Im type 2 (over 12 years) - obese - 51 - poor control - never really got it - lack will power - but this year going to make a concerted effort to improve and lost weight. Going to do Low Carb - tried it for a while last year and BS Levels were normal for the first time in years.

Await your thoughts - Cheers

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are considering trying fasting then "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Dr Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore would be on my list.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Richard K Bernstein covers both type 1 and type 2 and has been the diabetes "bible" for lots of us on here. First published in 1997 its still a best seller, Dr Bernstein is, himself, a type 1 diabetic

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a basic LCHF introduction: Trudi Deakin's Eat Fat. One I would have welcomed when first diagnosed but not published at the time.

But also look at books by Phinney and Volek (e.g. Art & Science of Low Carb Living), definitely Dr Richard Bernstein (T1 but inspirational and interesting reading for both T1 and T2). And maybe books by Michael Mosley, Atkins, Cavan, or again for insulin users: Think Like a Pancreas.

Robbity

equipoise

If you are T2 and can only get one book then I would strongly recommend David Cavan, Reverse your Diabetes -- clear, balanced, sane and up-to-date.

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks folks will look. Into them. Much appreciated

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Might be worth having a look at Tom Kerridge's new book "Dopamine Diet" It will be available on 12th Jan, but I have had a sneak preview as I work in a bookshop and have to say it is inspirational. He is a foodie who has now lost 11 stone since he started low carbing. It's not particularly aimed at people with diabetes - but it certainly is a diet that many of us follow. He has ditched bread, potatoes, rice and pasta along with alcohol but offers really delicious alternatives that also elevate your mood as well.