Boosting your carb levels for exercise ? (Sports Nutrition)

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This may seem like a stupid question but I’m a bit confused and could do with the benefit of other people’s experience.
I’ve just been reading an advertising blurb for OTE sports nutrition products and it suggests that an athlete should be consuming 60g of carbs per hour whilst engaged in high intensity exercise. From experience I know that exercise drives my blood/glucose levels downwards (I’m a keen leisure cyclist rather than a highly tuned athlete !) but should I increase my carb input prior to a ride ? .....and if so, should I also increase my dosage of Novorapid accordingly or should I just rely on the exercise to bring the level back down ?
I’m just conscious that my physical ability might be improved with better fuelling but I’m struggling to get my head around how this might impact on my blood sugars.

For info: I inject with Levermir morning and at bedtime + Novorapid at mealtimes. Target blood sugars of 4.0 to 7.0 (usually achieved)

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

D

Deleted Account

Exercise will make your insulin more efficient. Therefore, it can be a good idea to eat some extra carbs without insulin when doing high intensity exercise.
I tend to add some weak fruit squash to my water for this reason.
Alternatively, I reduce my insulin before exercising.

I will caveat all this with "I am t1 and do not know how this is applicable to t2"

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a T2 and play high level tennis.

Without extra carbs I cannot last on the tennis court.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is difficult to give advice as I too go out on my bicycle - but my BG goes up not down - but I don't need insulin. I take loads of water with me and stop to drink regularly.
I suspect that the only thing to do is experiment with different options and see what happens, but avoid making sudden changes particularly on very warm or cold days, and prepare for problems.