1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Boosting your carb levels for exercise ? (Sports Nutrition)

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by webmuppet, Sep 27, 2017.

1. webmuppet

webmuppet Type 2 · Member

This may seem like a stupid question but I’m a bit confused and could do with the benefit of other people’s experience.
    I’ve just been reading an advertising blurb for OTE sports nutrition products and it suggests that an athlete should be consuming 60g of carbs per hour whilst engaged in high intensity exercise. From experience I know that exercise drives my blood/glucose levels downwards (I’m a keen leisure cyclist rather than a highly tuned athlete !) but should I increase my carb input prior to a ride ? .....and if so, should I also increase my dosage of Novorapid accordingly or should I just rely on the exercise to bring the level back down ?
    I’m just conscious that my physical ability might be improved with better fuelling but I’m struggling to get my head around how this might impact on my blood sugars.

For info: I inject with Levermir morning and at bedtime + Novorapid at mealtimes. Target blood sugars of 4.0 to 7.0 (usually achieved)

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Exercise will make your insulin more efficient. Therefore, it can be a good idea to eat some extra carbs without insulin when doing high intensity exercise.
    I tend to add some weak fruit squash to my water for this reason.
    Alternatively, I reduce my insulin before exercising.

I will caveat all this with "I am t1 and do not know how this is applicable to t2"

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook