Bread

michaelf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Please forgive my ignorance (2 days from pre diabetes diagnosis) but can anyone give me guidance about my favourite food(bread) and what I could safely eat after this diagnosis
From what I have read it seems to be absoloutely forbidden, however I know that it would be an absoloute downer to abstain permanently and I just don't think I could manage without it
I am depressed enough with this out of the blue diagnosis and thoroughly miserable missing my 3 slices of toast and marmalade breakfast after only 2 days

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Michaelf,

In my 21 years as a diabetic for my breakfast I eat 2 or 3 slices of white or wholemeal bread sometimes toasted. I eat it with sardine or tuna and NO cholesterol spread plus one or two oranges.

I run down my breakfast with metformin, glicazide and acarbose (to prevent sugar spike). I do minimal exercise daily like walking about. By lunch time my blood sugar has crashed to about 4mmol/l.

It works for me perfectly but check your blood sugar just before lunch to know if it works for you too.

Sent from my E6683 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would agree with the suggestion of getting a meter and testing how bread ( and other foods) affext your sugars
Depending what country you are in, you should be able to find lower carb breads that may hav less of an impact. Im in the uk and buy Hilo bread from ocado / sainsburys and Josephs pita breads viia amazon
You can also get lower sugar marmalades - I used to like St Dalfours orange and ginger marmaalade but nowadays it spikes my suars too much :-(

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please forgive my ignorance (2 days from pre diabetes diagnosis) but can anyone give me guidance about my favourite food(bread) and what I could safely eat after this diagnosis
From what I have read it seems to be absoloutely forbidden, however I know that it would be an absoloute downer to abstain permanently and I just don't think I could manage without it
I am depressed enough with this out of the blue diagnosis and thoroughly miserable missing my 3 slices of toast and marmalade breakfast after only 2 days

If you're prepared to redefine "bread" somewhat, and have a Lidl you can get to, see if they do High Protein Rolls. There's a few threads on them here.

If you put them under close scrutiny by just, say, eating one by itself or with butter, you might not find the texture or taste very bread-like, but once loaded up with stuff, they aren't bad at all, and you can even develop a taste for them! I've had them plain, or for cheese-on-"toast", or with cream cheese on, or with normal sandwich fillings like meat and salad.

There's also things like Tesco's Finest Protein Loaf, I have one in the freezer but not tried it yet. That's much higher carbs than the Lidl HPRs however. Lidl's HPRs are really remarkably low in carbs according to various reports of nutritional info, but as others have said, all that matters is that they are low enough that you are happy with them when you take your own bg readings.

Reactions: dbr10

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat bread made of spelt flour, rather than wheat flour. When I first tried it, I tested a lot, and realised that it wasn’t causing a blood sugar spike. I make my own using a bread maker, but it is increasing in availability. Sainsbury do a cob, and a baton, and they are both excellent. But don’t try it unless you are testing with a meter, as the others have said, as I know there are people who have an immediate spike. Keep in mind that it still has carbohydrate in, I just assume that it breaks down very slowly in me.
You can get it in other things, eg spelt muesli. I have this with yoghurt for breakfast. Blood test this morning was 5.0 before breakfast, and 4.6 at 11.30 am.

But the key is testing and find what works for you.

Margaret

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was first diagnosed, I couldn't give up bread totally, so I opted for sandwich thins instead. One thin contains half the carbs as a slice of bread (approx 15g per thin) and it comes cut in half. I could therefore make a sandwich for half the carbs of a bread sandwich. After 6 weeks I did stop eating the thins - except when I am going out and can't take soup with me.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately get a meter to test the affect bread has on your BS and if you find it really spikes you can then look at alternatives after all if you are miserable you're unlikely to stick with not having it. There are many low carb options if you live in the right country, I don't so I bake my own bread, Pinterest is a great resource for recipes, it's just a matter of finding one you like. It's also good to remember that it's not only bread that is bad for BS but rice, pasta, potatoes etc as well.

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

michaelf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Definately get a meter to test the affect bread has on your BS and if you find it really spikes you can then look at alternatives after all if you are miserable you're unlikely to stick with not having it. There are many low carb options if you live in the right country, I don't so I bake my own bread, Pinterest is a great resource for recipes, it's just a matter of finding one you like. It's also good to remember that it's not only bread that is bad for BS but rice, pasta, potatoes etc as well.
Thankyou for giving me hope
There is no other food I love more than bread and I am grateful that it seems I can have it as a treat and not an everyday thing
Until last week my daily intake of bread was at least 6 to 8 slices of bread with marmalade plus 6 snicker bars and two readymeals plus snacks!!!
After reading the info on this website, it seems that my high Habc levels are self induced
What a chum I feel now
I will keep my online research of this website and hope I can indo years of poisoning myself!!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat up to 60 gm of carbs some days - I keep that as a maximum so do eat less the day after - but my Hba1c and blood glucose levels are normal without any medication. I stick to low carb foods and it seems to work very well - plus I am losing weight which I put on when eating a 'cholesterol reducing' diet.
I eat lots of fresh vegetables meat fish, shelfish, eggs cheese - and really enjoy the food.
I avoid grain and potatoes because to me they are very boring, tasteless, and cause weight gain, so they have no attraction really.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's always hope especially since it has been caught early and you are in the pre diabetic range. My father is also a pre diabetic and he loves his bananas and bread. You should have seen his face when I told him they weren't any good for him but I told him if he can start to cut down on them it should help. By the looks of it you are already making progress, we are sometimes our own worst enemy and cutting down from 8 slices is a great reduction. I can actually eat two slices of real bread and be fine but I prefer to eat my LC bread because sometimes I feel like more than two slices so it gives me the flexibility to eat more if I want.

Reactions: Sue192

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Until last week my daily intake of bread was at least 6 to 8 slices of bread with marmalade plus 6 snicker bars and two readymeals plus snacks!!!

That sounds very familiar :) All of it!

I love bread also. There was a time when any meal didn't seem complete to me without bread on the side. And four big thick slices of bread toasted felt great for breakfast. Worryingly I'm sure it would still feel great, except for the mental worry of what I'd just done to myself.

What a chum I feel now

Me too, but scientifically speaking, it is literally impossible to be sure it was self-induced, regardless of what you were eating or whether you are overweight. So there's no point in beating yourself up. You're doing the right thing to get on top of it now, educating yourself, looking for alternatives and being willing to reduce/change even the stuff that you love.

Reactions: Mbaker and Sue192

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot here including my T2 husband have Bergen Linseed and Soya sliced bread it is low carb and most supermarkets do it. The slices are full size unlike the other low carb bread like Livlife and Hilo which are tiny

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please invest in a meter the codefree is cheapest for strips The only way that you will know what the bread does to YOUR blood glucose levels is to test before eating and 2hours after
CAROL

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Try bacon and eggs instead. Yum!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try bacon and eggs instead. Yum!

You may have missed the question, but it was about bread.

Forgive the antsy response, but I've noticed that it's all too easy to start a thread on a subject here that has absolutely nothing to do with VLCHF eating, and people feel happy to ignore the theme/question of the thread and instead talk about VLCHF eating. There are plenty of threads to do that in. This one is about bread.

The OP clearly has the intelligence to realise that eating carbs isn't ideal for a Type 2 diabetic, hence the question they asked about bread.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You may have missed the question, but it was about bread.

Forgive the antsy response, but I've noticed that it's all too easy to start a thread on a subject here that has absolutely nothing to do with VLCHF eating, and people feel happy to ignore the theme/question of the thread and instead talk about VLCHF eating. There are plenty of threads to do that in. This one is about bread.

The OP clearly has the intelligence to realise that eating carbs isn't ideal for a Type 2 diabetic, hence the question they asked about bread.
I think I understood the original post. I don't know what they have been having for breakfast the last 2 days instead of bread and marmalade, but I was suggesting they try bacon and eggs instead. They may find that more satisfying than a load of carbs.

Reactions: dbr10

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I understood the original post. I don't know what they have been having for breakfast the last 2 days instead of bread and marmalade, but I was suggesting they try bacon and eggs instead. They may find that more satisfying than a load of carbs.

Understood. PM sent in the hope to avoid derailing the thread!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Another possibility for a satisfying bread-like experience, though probably more suitable with savoury things rather than marmalade, is to experiment with the kind of dough used in the 'Fathead pizza' recipe, covered on this forum and the Internet. It can be used for example to make sausage rolls - I haven't tried that, but they look great and you could possibly imagine it was a sausage sandwich if you tried hard enough :)