Break it to me gently

Ebenezer

When I was diagnosed with type 2, 8 years ago, at age 60, Steve had just won his 4th Olympic gold medal for rowing - diabetes was obviously no problem. Then the doctor carefully explained about heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, amputation, blindness ... and finished up computing the probability of a heart attack :( I thought I had just been diagnosed with the disease I would die from.

I felt like I was sitting under a cement mixer as it all poured out on top of me, & was in a state of shock for months.

I wasn't obese (BMI 26) & was active, playing tennis at club standard AND had been screened for pre-diabetes a few years before.

One thing that "bedside manner" did for me was to make me take it very seriously. I joined the local patients group & Diabetes UK, went to lectures at the hospital & adapted my diet.

Eight years on my HbA1C is 6.6 & I am still active & without symptoms apart from the numbness in one thigh which caused me to go to the Dr in the first place. I've just got new glasses - with the same prescription of the last ones 15 years ago. Tennis accidents occasioned the replacements.

Highmoor

Sounds good sir, I hope I can strive to where yu are. Unfortunately I am 43 had cancer at 35, then a heart attack at 39, then cancer returned this year, on my 5th dose of intravenous chemo, then I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on xmas eve. My worls been falling apart for the last 8 years. I was always active, played football, lifted weights, walked, jogged etc.

Anyway, Im struggling at the moment with the bs levels, fluctuating up to 20+. Its really frustrating cos I only dringk tea and water, have cut most sugar out completely, and have been watching the carbs etc in the foods. I dont eat as muych as I used too, and am rwally hungry, but iss meals to get the blood sugar levels down.

I have just started with 80 mg of Glicazide 3 times a day, as I also have to take steroid tabs at breaky and tea time, so they will elevate the BS levels, but its frustrating and worrying. I have blurred short vision at the moment, and numbe toes. I fear blindness and amputation. Any one out there like me.

ChocFish

Hi, I am so so sorry to hear that you have all these problems and I hope that you will get much better very soon, I would suggest that you read all posts by Carefix in the forum, this transfats thing and good for you oils doesnt just apply to diabetes but a whole wide reange of illnesses and I have posted my story in there too a few times.
Also do a google search on Dr Johanna Budwig, in relation to the cancer, and have you been in touch with the Bristol Cancer Help Centre? I had cancer and needed 2 lots of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the second time I got in touch with the centre and this was really helpful and positive,I learnt how to meditate and whilst being totally relaxed and using some aromatherapy oils I imagined my cancer to be a really ugly, green slimy creature with lots of warts all over and spots and bulging eyes, etc and I was in shallow blue water, all soothing and calm and some beautiful tropical fish swam along and nibbled away at the cancer, bit by bit, every time I did that the growth became smaller - its a mind game, I know and to some it seems totally bonkers, but I think it helped me along with the orthodox treatment, and you will feel empowered at being able to do things yourself too. It is really worth considering doing the stone age diet thing, you need to support your body to help fight all this illness, and boost your immune system. I hope that you ave lots and lots of support around you, that you talk about all your worries and fears, dont keep them inside you.

I wish you all the very best

Karen

Obvious if you intend to make these changes then please discuss with your medics first.