Breakfast help

stabmedaily

Dislikes
Smell of tobacco smoke.
Has anyone any suggestions of what i can take to work for breakfast. I am up every morning at 6.00 am. There is no way i can eat a cooked breakfast at this time of day. I have no access to anything which can cook food at work. Getting fed up with the usual yoghurt and fruit and Ryvitas. Burgen bread sends my BG through the roof.
Thanks in advance.

Grazer

What about a hard boiled egg? Nice with a bit of salt, or a few cherry tomatos. Some ham and cheese to go with your ryvita? Cold sausages?

Sindri

Can you manage cereals or museli type things? I'm thinking of things like the Dorset Cereals with the oats and fruit which you could mix into your yogurt. A nice big fresh fruit salad is nice as well along with a hard boiled egg and ham. Cheese sends my cholesterol levels way up so I have to steer clear of that. A mushed up banana on ryvita with a low fat cheese spread is nice.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
For the first year or so after my diagnosis I eat half a grapefruit each morning for breakfast and at between 4g and 6g of carbs it did very little to my bg levels.

Warning do not eat Grapefruit if you take a statin

Grazer

All good ideas - just remember that a lot of people can't handle bananas well. They are the worst of all fruits for sugar spikes (high GI) particularly if you have ripe ones.

Sindri

Isn't it interesting to see how individual diabetes is for us all. I can tolerate all fresh fruits and porridge and potatoes. As long as the food is not processed my BS can cope with it. All breads sent the level up as did any ready meal and of course all sweeties.

ladyfingers

Dislikes
Litter!
My favourite quick and tasty brekkie is one thickly chopped mozzarella, two thickly chopped tomatoes, a few fresh basil leaves with a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

All of which can be prepared the night before and eaten anywhere.

elviscole

all i have is porridge oats with a half a teaspoon of cinnamon at 6am and that does me until dinner at 1pm,
have noticed though that the price of porridge oats is going up and up, 1 brand i used to buy has gone from £1.58 to £2.08 so all i get now is that asda own brand which works out a lot cheaper, wonder if you can make porridge from barley as we have got tonnes of it at work (farm) :wink:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Kevin,
You can make porridge from any grain , but barley porridge is not oat porridge and will taste of barley :? you may like it, or not!
What kind of farm are you on? If livestock, try some of the barley "bruised" for animal feed as this should be closer to rolled oats.
Check that the resulting porridge does not spike your BS too much.
In my part of the world (N. Scotland) we had Bere Meal made from a primitive strain of barley.