Breakfast ideas for low carb, no fat diet

justconfused

Hi,

I am still battling to find a decent filling breakfast. I have oats with skim milk n tea, a couple of strawberries, but have been reading it is still bad on glucose. I don't eat beacon, ham, sausage, egg yolks, what can I eat for Breakie?

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I have homemade porridge that my wife does in big batches for me with fruit and nuts and all sorts of things in. I just take a scoop out in the mornings add milk and microwave for a couple of minutes. It fills me up till I have lunch when I'm at work. Doesn't alter my BS either as she only puts in what suits me

justconfused

I do eat porridge but I have mixed readings about nuts not being good or fruits too high in fructose. So quite confusing .... Would love the choice of eating more fruits freely as I love them. My food habits used to be mostly bread, butter and cheese, not too bothered about the rest and lots of fruits and suddenly this condition has denied me of all that. I feel hungry all the time ...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Can I ask why you do not eat ,bacon ,egg yolks etc,as you state in your first post?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have a low carb "porridge" every morning - a mix of 1 desert spoon each of: wheat germ, wheat bran; oat bran; soya protein; ground almonds, mixed with soya milk & sweetened with saccharine or powdered sweetener. Carb is less than 20 g. I sometimes add a chopped dried apricot, &/or cinnamon.

Do you need low fat? I was following the recommended NHS/DUK diet (low fat/salt/sugar, & lots of complex carbs) & my cholesterol was above 5. I now eat lots of cheese (which is of course zero carb) & my cholesterol fell from 5.4 to 4.3.

I felt devastated on diagnosis 8 years ago, as the Dr told me everything that could go wrong. I came out the surgery thinking I had the disease that would bring about my early death. Now I am fit & healthy, & still play a good game of tennis. (I'm 70 this year.)

I enjoy cooking, & my wife has benefited from my healthy diet after her heart attack.

justconfused

I have never liked eating them, they are my utter nightmare food along with salmon and fishy fish. It's been like that since I was a child. I have eaten lean ham in cheese sandwich but without a good bread, butter and cheese it will not go down. :cry:

justconfused

I am currently living in Vietnam and there are no such things as wheat bran, etc,. which can make life more reasonable with this condition. Only source of breakfast are sugar ladden cereals, sweet bun like bread or go the savoury Vietnamese way - have roce noodle soup with beef. Not for me ! certainly not rice noodles.
We are just lucky to have found 2 shops which bring oats and Weetabix. The rest available is unforiving to Diabetes.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Have you got friends coming & going who could bring you in special needs? Surely your husband's firm must be concerned for your welfare & could import. You won't be the only one with diabetes or other special diet requirements.

justconfused

No, unfortunately not. My husband does not get benefits working for big humanitarian organisations.
Just have to do with what is available here ....

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I made Fergus's cake recipe and it makes a good breakfast. It doesn't have to be almonds. almost any nuts will do.

ChocFish

Hello Justconfused

Welcome to the forum.

I know from personal experience, like most of us in this forum, that being diagnosed as diabetic is one hell of a shock, even if it runs in some familes, and it most certainly is very, very confusing, so much so that we think that our life is over and done with, sometimes we even think that its not worth living any more...

Well of course it is worth living, but it means that we have to have the courage to be flexible and to make adjustments so that we can live a healthy life and not develop complications and that means that we need to do our best to keep our blood glucose levels to non-diabetic levels,
It also means that we need to educate ourselves about this condition, the more we learn the more we lose our fear and realise that from all the available diseases out there actually diabetes is one of the better ones to have, sounds very stupid, but at least this is one disease that we can control ourselves, to a large extent at least, and basically we are forced to lead a healthier lifestyle than ever before in order to control the bg levels.
I said it takes a certain amount of courage, and I think you have that, you are living there in not so ideal circumstances in another country but you seem to be doing very well, despite the problems, so first go and give yourself credit for that, this is an achievement in itself!

So now about what you can eat, first remember, the important thing is that you get all the important vitamins and minerals and protein, that is what your body needs to function, whether you are diabetic or not, and it doesnt matter really when you eat certain foods, eg what is considered to be breakfast food late afternoon or you eat dinner at 6 in the morning, this is where flexible comes in.
I notice in another thread you say Vietnamese food is awful and downright dangerous, so you also say in another post that you feel your life is over because you cannot cook any more, you and your husband enjoy cooking and this pleasure has been taken away from you?

Ok, so before I go on here making suggestions on what to eat/cook/whatever, can you please write down a couple of days of a typical menu, what did you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Lets see if we can all try and help you work out something there.

Tell if you are able to test your blood glucose, can you get hold of books, eg Dr Bernstein or Dr Charles Clarke, as some of these would really help you learn more about diabetes. I know things are not easy for you, but you are clever, you found this forum and you have been brave enough to post, this also shows that although you are confused and feel like giving up, you are also intelligent and searching for information and willing to try to find a solution to your problems, I think everyone in this forum will do their best to help you through, who knows what me might be able to come up with as a team, lets just see, I dont think things will be as bleak as you fear it is.

All the best

Karen x

justconfused

Hi Chocfish,

Like today this is what I had :

1. Breakfast
light tea with skim milk
4 small button mushrooms
2 tablespoon of scrambled eggs

2. Mid morning snack
1 small strawberry

3. Lunch
Small green salad ( lettuce, black olives, capers, onions )
Soda water with lime - no sugar

4. Afternoon tea
I small cup of black tea with skim milk, no sugar

5. Dinner
sautted green beans
braised bok choy
tomato salsa
grilled courgette and aubergine
All above are cooked fat less, only salsa has a light drozzle of oilve oil
small cup of half hot water half skim milk
2 slices of nectarines

what does it say ?

ChocFish

Hi justconfused

Well I am not a dietician, but even I can tell that you are not eating enough of the good things, eg vegetables, fruit, fats and that you are not getting enough protein there either and that is rather alarming.

Why are you eating so little? What are your bg readings like? Can you see a dietician where you live, surely you have some private medical scheme there?

Are you able to get hold of the books that I suggested? You really do need some help, and soon, I am not surprised that you are so depressed, you are probably lacking quite a few vital nutrients, please go back to the doctor and have a long chat to him/her about the whole situation regarding eating, depression to the point of you feeling suicidal, and your concerns about the unhealthy, contaminated food that you told us about in another thread, surely the medical staff dont eat any foods that are bad for them?

Please go and get help and advice and maybe send Mrs Pugwash a PM asking her for advice regarding your diet.

All the best

Karen x

justconfused

Hi replying to this thread but losing them each time due to poor connection .... ahhh Vietnam !

will write to Mrs Pugwash, thx Karen

No, I do not have access to these books, will have to wait to travel to get them, can't order them over Amazon too, nothing comes via post in Vietnam, all stolen ...:( .. we have lost so many books we ordered via Amazon.

cheers,

Jo123

Hi, just an idea for breakfast, don't know if you can get unsweetened soy yoghurt, but I have a big bowl of that, with a large handful of almonds in. I really enjoy it, it doesn't put my BG like porridge did, and I feel full up till lunch.

Hope you are feeling more positive today.
Best wishes Jox

justconfused

Thanks Everyone ! I am working at the options - still a hard battle here.

No Jo, can't find that sort of product here, these are custmised for the Western market. You will get sweetened Soy Milk here, no low fat or no sugar !

I used to eat soy yoghurt and its lite products in the UK but here it is an unkonwn thing :(

Cheers