Breakfast Ideas?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apart from getting bored of scrambled eggs for breakfast, I'm getting a bit 'egg bound' if you get my meaning! ;) Any ideas for alternative breakfasts, not too fatty or calorific as I'm still loosing weight and have plenty more to shift! TIA x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have exactly the same problem. I swear if I see another egg I shall cry. Interested to see other breakfast ideas that don't concern eggs, berries and greek youghurt or the dreaded avocado.

Reactions: Rachox

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Rachox
Just started on a zero carb diet for the week so am skipping breakfast and having a coffee with a splash of cream, however when I do Lchf I tend to have Greek yoghurt with a few nuts and berries. Keeps me going till I finish work and have my evening meal.
Did try kippers once but couldn't be doing with the bones.
Have you looked at the diet doctor website for some ideas.
Hope you find something nice xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have exactly the same problem. I swear if I see another egg I shall cry. Interested to see other breakfast ideas that don't concern eggs, berries and greek youghurt or the dreaded avocado.
Ah Greek yoghurt and berries might hit the spot. I have literally had scrambled eggs for breakfast every day for the 9 weeks since diagnosis! I do like kippers but not for breakfast, so I'll put them in my choices for dinners now. Avocados are a bit hit and miss to get them ripe from my supermarket, plus I need to have very low carbs for breakfast and lunch, keeping my carbs for dinner when I tolerate them better. Thanks for your suggestions @hca and @Guzzler :chicken:

Reactions: Guzzler

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Rachox ..
Have a look at these Breakfast Ideas from the Diet Doctor .. some have eggs but many others don't ..
You could also consider the option of Intermittent Fasting eg: 16:8, which means only eating within an 8 hour window, (I do 11am to 7pm and cut out breakfast altogether).
Are you actually hungry .. or do you eat breakfast out of habit .. or because you have been "taught" that breakfast is necessary because it "sets you up for the day" or it is your "most important meal"?

For me, the three core principles of LCHF are much more relevant:
# Only eat real food
# Only eat when you're hungry
# Stop eating when you're full

Hope this helps

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I had a chicken leg (left over), avocado and some olives plus salad. The avocado was brought “read to eat” a few days ago and left out to ripen a bit more.

I am trying to cut down on my eggs for the same reasons as you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try mixing a tablespoon full of desiccated coconut with the Greek yogurt as an antidote to the eggs. If you leave it a couple of minutes the coconut improves a lot.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lidl high protein roll made in to toast, buttered and then spread with raspberry mush?

Raspberry mush is frozen raspberries mixed with whichever sweetener you prefer then microwaved until it resembles jam. Keeps in the fridge for about 4 days.

Here is a recipe for an absolutely gorgeous low carb lemon curd - http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/07/sugar-free-lemon-curd.html

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have to have traditional "breakfast" food - have whatever you fancy (low carb of course) - just think of it as another meal - I have been known to have left overs from the night before such a casserole- I love cold veg with bacon, good quality sausage cooked the night before - I can't eat eggs as an egg (ok as an ingredient) so I have to be inventive - I love a big dish of fried mushrooms with spinach wilted in at the last minute - yesterday there was some poached salmon in the fridge - had that with some cold broccoli and cherry tomatoes

You are only limited y your imagination:)

Reactions: ringi and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rachox ..
Have a look at these Breakfast Ideas from the Diet Doctor .. some have eggs but many others don't ..
You could also consider the option of Intermittent Fasting eg: 16:8, which means only eating within an 8 hour window, (I do 11am to 7pm and cut out breakfast altogether).
Are you actually hungry .. or do you eat breakfast out of habit .. or because you have been "taught" that breakfast is necessary because it "sets you up for the day" or it is your "most important meal"?

For me, the three core principles of LCHF are much more relevant:
# Only eat real food
# Only eat when you're hungry
# Stop eating when you're full

Hope this helps
Thanks for the link to the Diet Dr low carb breakfasts. I have just ordered some Psyllium husk from Amazon. I'm going to try the low carb pancakes with berries and cream and the coconut porridge. Looks like the psyllium husk might help with the 'egg bound problem' I'm getting! :oops:
I did try 'fasting' once, I had just a black coffee and cream for breakfast, but it really didn't fill me up til lunch. I do actually feel hungry very soon after getting up. I turn into a grumpy cow if I get too hungry so I've ruled out fasting I'm afraid! I have also got into the habit of eating my meals more slowly and stopping when I'm full.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try mixing a tablespoon full of desiccated coconut with the Greek yogurt as an antidote to the eggs. If you leave it a couple of minutes the coconut improves a lot.
I just bought some Greek yoghurt, so I'll give this a go. Thanks!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl high protein roll made in to toast, buttered and then spread with raspberry mush?

Raspberry mush is frozen raspberries mixed with whichever sweetener you prefer then microwaved until it resembles jam. Keeps in the fridge for about 4 days.

Here is a recipe for an absolutely gorgeous low carb lemon curd - http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/07/sugar-free-lemon-curd.html
Oh I like the Lidl rolls, and love the sound of the raspberry mush and the lemon curd especially! Thank you!

B

badcat

I make low carb berry muffins ( 200g ground almonds, 6 eggs, 75g erythritol,2tsp baking poder, 2 tbsp cream or yougurt,2 tsp vanilla extrack made into a batter with a blender / food processor, poured into silicone cake mould, add 100g berries, bake) make a nice breakfast with natural yogurt or cream

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll bow out as avocado bf is my thing. Perhaps topped with smokes salmon. A high fat and fiber bf keeps me full for hours.

Reactions: ringi

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had Greek yoghurt and raspberries for breakfast, kept the hunger pangs at bay til lunch and only took my blood sugar from 5.5 before to 5.8 two hours after, so I'll be having that again. My psyllium husk has just arrived from those lovely Amazon people, so next new breakfast I'll try is the low carb pancakes. I really enjoyed not having eggs today! Hope my insides appreciate it too! :joyful:

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try adding a spoon of the husk to the yoghurt, but you MUST dink a least one glass of water after taking the husk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link to the Diet Dr low carb breakfasts. I have just ordered some Psyllium husk from Amazon. I'm going to try the low carb pancakes with berries and cream and the coconut porridge. Looks like the psyllium husk might help with the 'egg bound problem' I'm getting! :oops:
I did try 'fasting' once, I had just a black coffee and cream for breakfast, but it really didn't fill me up til lunch. I do actually feel hungry very soon after getting up. I turn into a grumpy cow if I get too hungry so I've ruled out fasting I'm afraid! I have also got into the habit of eating my meals more slowly and stopping when I'm full.
Did you try fasting in the early days? Once your body gets used to fewer carbs you might find it easier to not eat. Maybe give it a try once a month to see how you feel.. you never know.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I don't eat breakfast other than maybe a cup of coffee - I've b
Apart from getting bored of scrambled eggs for breakfast, I'm getting a bit 'egg bound' if you get my meaning! ;) Any ideas for alternative breakfasts, not too fatty or calorific as I'm still loosing weight and have plenty more to shift! TIA x
I don't have breakfast, other than a cup of coffee. I've been that way for years, however between 10 - 10:30 in the morning I do start to get hungry and I either have a handful of walnuts, almonds or pistachios. I'm not a big eater so when I made the adjustment it wasn't a big deal - some people probably think I'm crazy :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you try fasting in the early days? Once your body gets used to fewer carbs you might find it easier to not eat. Maybe give it a try once a month to see how you feel.. you never know.
I tried it about one month into low carbing. I'll consider it again one day, but how could I do it when there's all these lovely new breakfast suggestions to try? ;)

Reactions: bulkbiker