Breakfast question honey/maple syrup or fruit

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi , I'm type 2 diabetic trying to lose weight to get to pre diabetic...breakfast used to be walburtons mini seeded loaf with butter and marmite (one piece) ...experimenting with "full fat Greek yog" with multi seeds but have a sweet tooth....I've had it with diced peach which was lovely , tried it with no fruit and it wasn't really doing it for me...so.,,.the question is, which is best for you? A table spoon of honey, or maple syrup or some other fruit..... and overall is it better to go back to the toast ?
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated ....thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have a meter? What do the above choices do to your sugars?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , I'm type 2 diabetic trying to lose weight to get to pre diabetic...breakfast used to be walburtons mini seeded loaf with butter and marmite (one piece) ...experimenting with "full fat Greek yog" with multi seeds but have a sweet tooth....I've had it with diced peach which was lovely , tried it with no fruit and it wasn't really doing it for me...so.,,.the question is, which is best for you? A table spoon of honey, or maple syrup or some other fruit..... and overall is it better to go back to the toast ?
If you're not an eggs and bacon person then breakfast is often the hardest meal to sort out so... I just skip it and have a couple of mugs of tea and fast until lunchtime. Helps with lowering blood sugars and gives your pancreas an extra rest after its nighttime nap.. what's not to like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What diabetes medications are you taking?
We need to know this before we can respond properly.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Perhaps you could flavour your yog with some vanilla or ground ginger or cinnamon.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Your original breakfast sounds fine to me but substitute a low carb bread. Marmite on toast love it.

Just thought I'd add my breakfast this morning

A slice of the weight watchers malted loaf toasted with a little cheese and Worcestershire sauce.

Pre meal 5.5
1 hour 6.1
2 hour 5.8

Last edited:

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow brilliant answers :)
I'm just on metformin , was on additional medication but got nasty side effects, so am rebelling and trying to solve the root cause (me being overweight) , that way I hope it will go away.
Very good point about the meter...I have not checked it for the different breakfasts. (Thank you)
Thank you also for the "don't eat breakfast " suggestion I was thinking maybe a 5:2 style of doing a couple of days less, might be the way forward
May i ask ...I have heard amazing things about cinnamon , any guide on how much one should or shouldn't add?
As you are all way more knowledgeable, also have you heard about stewed Apple and cinnamon it was feature on 'doctor in the house ' ? ( the serious one not the comedy) , I wrote to the BBC, who say it's an outside production, the outside productionhavent written back, I want guidance on what apples, how much cinnamon etc (fairly anal)!!
My bs level is currently 12 ish.....was 14 ish before I started trying to do LCHF , lost a few lbs first off but have stalled for many weeks. I am no saint , but when I think back to what I used to eat ....goodness me how it's changed...
Thanks again for all your helpful points.
Feeling hungry now. May just have that toast anyway !!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @anderson3000 I appreciate you have a sweet tooth however either honey/maple syrup is going to spike your blood glucose levels so best avoided, so I would go back to your previous toast option, there are other breads out there with less carbs so less impact on your blood glucose levels, Livilife is available at Waitrose, Ocado and is only 5g of carb per slice, a much healthier option. Fruits are high in fructose so best fruits if you really cannot give these up are berries, so blueberries and strawberries are good.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you cut out sweet tasting foods then your tastes will alter, so that smaller amounts will be enough, and some foods which you did not perceive as sweet will surprise you.
Your levels are quite high still, despite changing what you eat, and I'd advise looking again at what you are eating which is keeping your levels high. Cutting down carbs so you see lower levels should, with any luck, then mean that your metabolism begins to change so you can decide either to lose weight or lower BG levels as you wish.
I have been surprised at my own progress - I am far beyond where I expected to reach in a year, and only 7 months from diagnosis. I have used a meter to check which foods and meals affect my BG, with good results.
The Lidle protein rolls are good for me, and I react to just about everything else remotely breadlike with a huge and extended spike.
I add a small pinch of cinnamon to my morning cup of coffee every day, and an even smaller amount of salt as I do not add it in cooking.

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Resurgam...may I ask, did you have a sweet tooth? Are/were you a foodaholic? If yes to either, what do you snack on nowadays? I am trying nut based snacks, mindful of their fat content, just trying things that aren't sugar based...but whilst I have been taking a bs ready once a day in the am to track my progress I have not gone down the path of checking after meals ...looks like I may have to.

Thanks also juicyj... my mini walberton seeded which tastes fab is 11.6 g carb s is that bad?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do use your meter to the best advantage. Testing before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite will tell you how your body has reacted to that meal. If you keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside you will soon see patterns emerging and be able to eliminate some foods or reduce the portion size.

I like Full Fat Greek yogurts with 2 or 3 chopped up strawberries (or 6 or 7 raspberries) mixed in, and I add some milled flaxseed to that. However, I find I can't eat this for breakfast without spiking, but can eat it later in the day as a dessert. (Insulin resistance improves as the day progresses in my case)

If you have a Lidl near you, they sell high protein rolls which have about 8g carbs per roll, and are delicious. I slice mine in half and toast them with plenty of butter. They freeze well and are very filling. I can only manage a half in one sitting, so that is only 4g carbs per slice.

Mark_1

If your anywhere near a Waitrose try livlife bread 3.4g per slice, and if you like nuts put a load of nut butter on it. Buy the one with the lowest carb count, that's what I had last night as a snack.

dipsydo

I tried the apple and cinnamon , I used one brambly apple, at bit of water, no sugar and just put cinnamon to taste .. it was OK but not sure it was worth the effort .You might find you spike,so will need to test, I did not, but as we are all different it is not possible to guess whether you will be impacted or not.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typo it should read IS nut butter than butter butter!
Not really nuts have carbs and carbs are what you are trying to avoid,, butter butter doesn't have carbs. You mentioned above that you are avoiding fat? It's much easier (and better for you) to avoid carbs and up your fats a bit. A whole heap of us have found that eating fat without carbs doesn't make us fat so we revel in cream in coffee, eating the skin off chicken and having bacon without gaining an ounce.. in fact in my case I have lost 1600 ounces doing just that.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nut butter has fiber as well so slows digestion a bit and keeps you feeling full longer than just butter. Of course portions do matter

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have discovered that frozen strawberries and blueberries with a dollop of full fat greek yoghurt is enough to sate my sweet tooth and that if I do not defrost the berries but put them in the nutibullet with the yoghurt it is very similar to ice cream. It really is a winner.

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks v much for all of your comments, I realise I must focus much more on measuring / testing bs levels pre and post meals, and working out what makes the spikes , and spotting what are carbs (ignoring the obvious like pasta rice and bread -(except for breakfast)...because I've mainly cut them out already)...
Final request ....please could any of you write down your three favourite snacks (I don't mean necessarily in bags, but more what you turn to for instant food ) that have worked for you. I think I will come back and ask more annoying questions, I've been in denial for too long !!