Breaking News... Rose Wine Lowers BGs!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought I would share my revelation from Saturday night.... After weeks of high BGs (rarely below 10) I went to a friends party on Saturday night (she is moving away, so I was quite sad) and I drank rather a lot of Rose (at least a bottle and I don't usually drink alcohol hardly at all). o_O:wacky: I was very good food wise and only nibbled on carrot sticks and had some chile con carne without rice or pitta bread.

When I got home I spotted my monitor and thought... hmmm, I wonder what my BGs are after all that wine - it was a miracle! Only 6.5! I have heard red wine is supposed to be quite good but didn't think Rose would have the same effect. Well, I know what I am doing from now on - shame I can't have some during the day at work! ;)

Reactions: 12 people

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
I find a glass of any wine with a meal, mitigates some of the effect of the carbohydrates.
But I wouldn't recommend drinking a bottle to lower your BG as that way lies the gutter. :hungover:
A little alcohol does you good, a lot will destroy you. I know I've been there.

Reactions: 16 people

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interestingly yesterday I was at a family occasion and thought I'd have a couple or three glasses of Rose , I could then check my BS level and see what it did, I was very surprised to discover it made no difference, Christmas is looking better ;)

Reactions: 8 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can have. Couple of drinks with a meal, it helps my bs for that meal and has no effect after that, if I drink more than that it does the same for the meal and the next day BUT for 2 or 3 days after that my numbers are a little bit higher than normal and a littler harder to reduce

Reactions: 6 people

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see that a dry wine could bring the BG down . but would be suspicious of a rose

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I was just a lush what with the amount of rose wine I drink. Now I find I have been looking after my health. It also lowers your blood pressure by the way. During an experiment I took some pills provided by DN and drank rose wine while wearing a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. 88/33 was the lowest. DN stopped the pills.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day after the above we went out for a family meal and I ordered a glass of Rose - 17 year daughter said "Another glass of wine, what are you becoming an alcoholic or something!" :shifty: Guess that is the end of me becoming a lush! :D

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm mainly now drinking red but will have to test this with Xmas fast approaching. Maybe I can still eat (sensibly), drink and be merry!

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I would share my revelation from Saturday night.... After weeks of high BGs (rarely below 10) I went to a friends party on Saturday night (she is moving away, so I was quite sad) and I drank rather a lot of Rose (at least a bottle and I don't usually drink alcohol hardly at all). o_O:wacky: I was very good food wise and only nibbled on carrot sticks and had some chile con carne without rice or pitta bread.

When I got home I spotted my monitor and thought... hmmm, I wonder what my BGs are after all that wine - it was a miracle! Only 6.5! I have heard red wine is supposed to be quite good but didn't think Rose would have the same effect. Well, I know what I am doing from now on - shame I can't have some during the day at work! ;)
I don't wish to spoil the party but alcohol changes the rate of metabolism in the liver, causing it to punch out less sugar at the time. Good for a short term fix. However there might be a lag the next day with the calorie intake. Also the lack of sugar production runs the risk of night time hypo as the insulin does its work. I learned from some experience of this. The trick is enjoy alcohol in moderation and find out what fits in best for you to minimise hypo events. While the book says no more than two standard drinks a day, the book also says that up to 4 standards a day x 3 times per week does not go above the no risk range for alcohol (according to a reputable US source). 4 standards max per day every day goes into the low risk category for men lower for a woman. Also with Rose, I would have thought there are better options in drinks. Rose has a fairly high sugar content whereas drier reds have virtually nil sugar. But the rub is alcohol contains calories and this gets converted into fats. Whisky or rum mixed with ice is also a good drink for diabetics with no sugar in either, just a fair hit of calories per standard drink.

Reactions: 8 people

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now were talking ..I'm a JD and diet coke girl and my DN assured me yesterday that everything in moderation over Christmas is just fine

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had some more Rose last night - continuation of leaving party, round 2 - Lebanese restaurant - gorgeous food and very good LCHF, avoided the rice and pitta. Anyway ended up drinking another half bottle of Rose - this is more alcohol than I would normally consume in a year! Think I actually am becoming a lush! :***:

Ajay76

All alcohol reduces loos sugar as it gives your liver something else to do instead of dumping glucose into your blood and livers are not very good at multitasking. Do the pros outweigh the cons though?

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All alcohol reduces loos sugar as it gives your liver something else to do instead of dumping glucose into your blood and livers are not very good at multitasking. Do the pros outweigh the cons though?
No, I don't think they do - I shall be back on the Diet Coke until Christmas!

Neelesh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't wish to spoil the party but alcohol changes the rate of metabolism in the liver, causing it to punch out less sugar at the time. Good for a short term fix. However there might be a lag the next day with the calorie intake. Also the lack of sugar production runs the risk of night time hypo as the insulin does its work. I learned from some experience of this. The trick is enjoy alcohol in moderation and find out what fits in best for you to minimise hypo events. While the book says no more than two standard drinks a day, the book also says that up to 4 standards a day x 3 times per week does not go above the no risk range for alcohol (according to a reputable US source). 4 standards max per day every day goes into the low risk category for men lower for a woman. Also with Rose, I would have thought there are better options in drinks. Rose has a fairly high sugar content whereas drier reds have virtually nil sugar. But the rub is alcohol contains calories and this gets converted into fats. Whisky or rum mixed with ice is also a good drink for diabetics with no sugar in either, just a fair hit of calories per standard drink.

To add my 2 pennies! There are alcohols that will have a minimal impact on your blood sugar when consumed. Based on my own research these are:-

- Red wine
- Whisky
- Gin
- Vodka

One of the lowest calorie and sugar drinks you can have on a night out is vodka, soda water and plenty of freshly squeezed lime - the sugars in the lime are natural and release more slowly,

Personally I still avoid aspartame based diet soft drinks as mixers (or otherwise) as there is still a lot of controversy around the health risks of aspartame....but that's another discussion altogether! :)

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
To add my 2 pennies! There are alcohols that will have a minimal impact on your blood sugar when consumed. Based on my own research these are:-

- Red wine
- Whisky
- Gin
- Vodka

One of the lowest calorie and sugar drinks you can have on a night out is vodka, soda water and plenty of freshly squeezed lime - the sugars in the lime are natural and release more slowly,

Personally I still avoid aspartame based diet soft drinks as mixers (or otherwise) as there is still a lot of controversy around the health risks of aspartame....but that's another discussion altogether! :)
I agree about avoiding aspartame diet soft drinks, until at least longer term research shows whether or not overuse causes any ill-effects. Vodka soda and lime mix sounds like a good option in creating a flavoursome option.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually aspartame has been very widely tested for years - since the 90's - it is the most widely tested food additive in the market place. There is still no evidence that it causes any harm. I personally have never had any adverse side affects.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way I am giving up my diet coke along with everything else! ;):eek: