Breast feeding type 1

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hiya, I know diabetics are at risk of having bigger babies, particularly if poorly controlled, but does this apply to breast feeding too? My wee boy has just turned 4 months old and is 20lbs already, putting him above 98th centile. He was 75th centile at birth and has been exclusively breasted. Health visitor just says you can't over feed breasted baby but I'm beginning to wonder! Haven't had a recent hba1c but sugars not as tight as when I was pregnant so imagine it's up a bit. Eating far too much sweet stuff due to frequent hypos and wondering if this is passing to baby? Thanks in advance of any replies...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard that, Cleo. In fact, breastfeeding can protect against obesity later in life. If your son is healthy and you've checked with your health visitor then I don't think I'd worry. All babies are different and gain at different rates. :)

When I had my first baby, I was paranoid that she wasnt gaining enough weight (opposite to you) because I was comparing her to a friend's baby who was the same age but a fair bit heavier. However, now they're pretty much the same size.

I sympathise with the hypos. I still swig Lucozade now to keep my sugars up after feeding.

This article says breastfed babies can put weight on early but will slim down later as they can have a different growth pattern from formula fed babies:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-toomuch/

You're doing really well feeding for so long :) I honestly wouldn't worry. Once your son is crawling and toddling his shape will change a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Thanks azure, first time mum paranoia! He's otherwise a very happy healthy baby, just a bit chunky lol!

Reactions: 2 people