breast feeding with type 1 diabetes

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello, i have just had my 3rd baby and i am very determined to breastfeed.
she is now 11 days old and i have been breastfeeding her since birth.
my milk supply has been very good since feeding but today i have literally had high blood sugars all day and it seems like my milk supply has decreased drastically! i'm really worried, is this normal or could it be something else affecting my supply?
thank you for any responses! any help is much appreciated.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
All sorts of things can raise your sugars. It may not be a reduction in supply and if you stress about that it could make your sugars higher!
Have you got any reason, apart from levels to think supply has slowed? Are you able to express at all?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello, i have just had my 3rd baby and i am very determined to breastfeed.
she is now 11 days old and i have been breastfeeding her since birth.
my milk supply has been very good since feeding but today i have literally had high blood sugars all day and it seems like my milk supply has decreased drastically! i'm really worried, is this normal or could it be something else affecting my supply?
thank you for any responses! any help is much appreciated.

@khadijah_jade It could be dehydration - drink plenty of water. Or it could simply be stress, or just tiredness. The milk supply doesn't really settle until about 12 weeks so don't worty.

Eat well, keep hydrated and feed frequently.

Reactions: Diakat

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@khadijah_jade I'd also add that the feelings of fullness can vary. I had a number of panics when I thought my supply had dropped, but actually it hadn't at all.

Rest up today, look after yourself, and there's absolutely no reason why your supply shouldn't continue as normal :)

Rest, hydration and plenty of calories should help (breastfeeding can take up to 700 extra calories per day)

Reactions: Diakat