Briffa: Dr tells successful T2 to "Eat more carbs"

Defren

borofergie said:
Let this be a warning to you kids. Your brain needs carbs. If you don't eat them then you'll end up like this...

GraceK said:
I would totally confuse his senses by gliding around the doctor's office reciting "I am a Dalek" in my best metallic tones then I would give him a copy of The Hippocratic Oath and then tell him I'm a White Witch and my motto is "First Do No Harm ..." then I would reach into my shopping bag and bring out a tasty LCHF meal and force it down his chops ... and then I would wait to see if he could connect the dots. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
borofergie said:
Let this be a warning to you kids. Your brain needs carbs. If you don't eat them then you'll end up like this...

GraceK said:
I would totally confuse his senses by gliding around the doctor's office reciting "I am a Dalek" in my best metallic tones then I would give him a copy of The Hippocratic Oath and then tell him I'm a White Witch and my motto is "First Do No Harm ..." then I would reach into my shopping bag and bring out a tasty LCHF meal and force it down his chops ... and then I would wait to see if he could connect the dots. :)

... I've been for a gynae hospital appointment followed by a very long walk in the sunshine today ... watched a Tai Chi demo and inhaled the beautiful herbal scents in the Sensory Garden of a beautiful nearby park, meandered through the English Garden admiring the rich dark soil that's just been dug over and the abundance of benches on which to sit and meditate, the Japanese Garden with it's bonsais and trellises and then I paddled across muddied fields to watch the ducks and geese doing relay races across the pond ... enjoyed the mud splashing up my legs and the soggy hems of my trousers flapping around my ankles and the squeaking of my feet as they slid in and out of my Crocs ... does my LCHF diet seem to be doing me any harm? This time 8 weeks ago I could just about get out of bed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GraceK said:
... I've been for a gynae hospital appointment followed by a very long walk in the sunshine today ... watched a Tai Chi demo and inhaled the beautiful herbal scents in the Sensory Garden of a beautiful nearby park, meandered through the English Garden admiring the rich dark soil that's just been dug over and the abundance of benches on which to sit and meditate, the Japanese Garden with it's bonsais and trellises and then I paddled across muddied fields to watch the ducks and geese doing relay races across the pond ... enjoyed the mud splashing up my legs and the soggy hems of my trousers flapping around my ankles and the squeaking of my feet as they slid in and out of my Crocs ... does my LCHF diet seem to be doing me any harm? This time 8 weeks ago I could just about get out of bed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's put a huge smile on my face. Thank you Grace. I watched clouds today, made myself stop and enjoy the changing leaves and that low autumn sun. Simple pleasure Grace, simple pleasures.....

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
wiflib said:
GraceK said:

That's put a huge smile on my face. Thank you Grace. I watched clouds today, made myself stop and enjoy the changing leaves and that low autumn sun. Simple pleasure Grace, simple pleasures.....

Woooooaaaaaaaahhhhh Yeeeaaaaaahhhh! (I typed that in my very best Louis Armstrong voice) :wave:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
lucylocket61 said:
sorry Ian if I am being thick but:

does that mean that low-carbing for more than 6 months is bad...

or does it mean that there have been no clinical trials so the jury is out on this?

or something else :crazy:
Something else - DUK are forever trying to prove that the jury is still out & until THEY have carried out controlled trials studying T2 diabetics for 30 years they can't consider recommending such a diet. Meanwhile they dish out the failed diet.

This research was specifically intended to assess the Atkins diet, it seems looking for evidence to substantiate POTENTIAL problems. They did not find any, & the impression I get is that DUK/NHS consider it unethical to even field test a low carb/high fat diet because they KNOW it is unhealthy. The fact that they KNOW their high carb/low fat diet causes progression seems to escape them.
From the quoted comment:
However, to date there has been no randomized controlled trial in type 2 DM patients and health care professionals remain wary of their use, particularly as standard dietary advice from Diabetes UK does not support this approach.7
That ref: 7 dates back to 2003 !!!!

This article will review the Atkins diet, compare it with current nutritional recommendations for type 2 DM patients, and discuss the possibility of adopting a modified version of the Atkins diet as an alternative viable dietary approach.
It (Atkins) has generally been received by the medical establishment with scepticism, and potential links to atherogenicity, bone and renal disease have been documented.11 It therefore lay outside the parameters of conventional dietary practice, and until recently was unsupported by clinical trial data.
Until long-term safety data are obtained for low-CHO diets, a compromise may be appropriate, with the use of diets with lower CHO and modest protein intake. Such an approach has been trialled in a small-scale study led by the South-West Clinical Diabetes Research Group.
That last trial reported in 2005. "Daly ME, Paisey R, Paisey R, Millward BA, Eccles C, Williams K, Hammersley S, MacLeod KM, Gale TJ. Short-term effects of severe dietary carbohydrate restriction advice in Type 2 diabetes –a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med 2005;23:15-20."
I emailed Dr Daly & he replied that there were no significant adverse effects of low carb. He suggested I might need extra carb when I play tennis - but I don't.

bonnynemia

Hi Everybody:

Thank you very much for your reactions to my posts. I find them very interesting and worth knowing.

I wish to make it very clear that having this rare privilege of enjoying life like I have no diabetes going 22 years, I feel it my duty to reach out to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics and prediabetics and assure them that it will be as easy for them to attain it as I did.

Right now, I don't see anybody who is more qualified than me to encourage these people to shoot for a very good life like I have. If there is, he will in all probability be doing much much more to help others.

I very well know that most of you, if not all of you, are praying for a cure for type 2 diabetes. In my case, I don't need it. I want to help those who I think may need help. I am not looking for appreciation, recognition, attention, rewards, or anything similar. What I am doing is what any Christian is expected to do for his brothers and sisters.

In other words, I am just paying back all the help I got from others when I was down and very close to being totally out.

If you don't share my belief that all of us are here on earth for a reason, then you will never never understand my intention and sincere desire to help as many newly diagnosed type 2s and prediabetics as I can possibly reach.

Thanks and regards,

Bonny Damocles

Grazer

bonnynemia said:
Hi Everybody:
Right now, I don't see anybody who is more qualified than me to encourage these people to shoot for a very good life like I have. If there is, he will in all probability be doing much much more to help others.

Bonny Damocles

You think too much of yourself

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grazer:
You think too much of yourself

agree

Bonny Damocles:

I wish to make it very clear that having this rare privilege of enjoying life like I have no diabetes going 22 years, I feel it my duty to reach out to newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics and prediabetics and assure them that it will be as easy for them to attain it as I did.

what part of "No, it isnt, some of us have continuing loss of pancreatic function, despite low carbing etc, and cannot do what you do" do you not understand?

What part of reading all the others who are succeeding and helping do you not understand? And what makes you more qualified than them?

What I am doing is what any Christian is expected to do for his brothers and sisters.

You mean the Christian bit about empathy, modesty, understanding, sympathy and listening? As a Christian I find your attitude offensive.

In other words, I am just paying back all the help I got from others when I was down and very close to being totally out.

I wonder how you would be feeling right now if you had had someone spout all this "help" to you, yet you needed more medical intervention? A failure? Very helpful, I'm sure.

I dont know if you are trying to provoke a reaction, or talking out of your bottom, but it aint helpful, or kind.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
bonnynemia said:
Right now, I don't see anybody who is more qualified than me ...

So what about newly diagnosed T2's who live in Bungalows, they're pretty stuffed aren't they?

borofergie said:
DUK had the nerve to ring me up and ask me to run the Great North Run on their behalf.

That had to be a wind up surely? Well I suppose it shows that they read this forum. Shame they never take the prevailing advice!

For T2's it's all to do with cutting carbs by the way DUK if you're reading this :wave: but hey you know that anyway but you'd rather keep killing people than actually admit you might be wrong.

Rather like the doctor mentioned in the OP's opening post. It sickens me that rather than ask his patient how he'd sorted himself out he immediately tried to kill him. The idiot doc reminds me of a certain poster we had the pleasure of a few days ago.

Hello there Richard btw and welcome :) Has anyone accused you of not being real yet? I see you advocate a low carb view, good man! However that must make you a sock puppet in some posters minds but just ignore them :lol:

bonnynemia

Hi Everybody:

Thank you again for all your reactions. They are indeed very revealing and nice for me to know.

I am not saying that I am or will be a winner but I am working very hard to be a winner. I think it is doable especially if I start now.
Bonny Damocles

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bonny said:
but I am working very hard to be a winner. I think it is doable especially if I start now.

I thought you started 22 years ago and are proclaiming that you are a winner right now?

Your posting confuses me. I suspect it is intended to provoke replies and gain attention. I dont like my mind to be played with this way.

So goodnight, and good bye.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
bonnynemia said:
I think it is doable especially if I start now.

Thought you said you'd been running up and down stairs for 2 hours a day for the last 22 years and now you say you haven't started!

Make your mind up and get the story straight is my advice ...

Take care Bonny

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Come on read his link, interesting story.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mean this bit of his story:

For the past 21 years, Damocles has been following a similar workout plan, although the stairs have given way to lower-impact workouts like walking. He also eats home-cooked meals, focusing on lean meats, whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables. “I told my wife, Nemia, that whenever you see an ingredient you can’t recognize or pronounce, we avoid it,” he says.

That’s not to say that Damocles doesn’t eat what he loves. He allows himself carbs–“my favorite,” he laughs–but he makes smarter choices, choosing heart-healthy carbohydrates and adding fresh fruits and veggies to treats like cakes to boost their nutritional value. “My wife prepares what we think is safe for me, but I don’t worry about food,” he says. He just follows his lion-like rules.

so, he doesnt run up and down stairs 2 hours a day anymore, and eats what he wants, including cake and carbs - but he is not a guru telling others they can do the same and not progress with their diabetes.

well, it may have worked for him, but it wouldnt work for me. I need to restrict all carbs and get rid of sugars to get lower bs level, and I have limited mobility issues.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
So do I, it's just I don't like folk being mean. Thats all

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and this article/interview where Bobby acknowledges that his way of being is only suitable of newly-diagnosed Tpe 2's and pre-diabetics? http://www.ourmidland.com/news/0657e042-26d1-11e0-b691-001cc4c002e0.html

and that he doesnt control his diet at all, and loves cakes and carbohydrates, so he relies on the extreme exercise to control his diabetes?

so how is that good advice and harmless advice to give out dawn?

I am not being mean. I think that Bonny is being mean to suggest that all we have to do is follow his choices, and we will be fine, he knows best, and he is the one and only expert, dismissing everyone else. That is disrespectful, IMHO. I am highlighting his discrepancies and worrying proclamations in case someone else think he is right and gets complications or damage as a result.

I have also googled and read Bonnys book extract, and got even more worried about his capacity to harm others.

I consider it my duty and responsibility to point out if someone posing as an expert, is possibly harmful.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I didn't say it was good advice, it just seems that criticism turns into personal attack, I'm all for proper reviews and feed back.

Grazer

dawnmc said:
I'm all for proper reviews and feed back.

Me too; trouble is, he doesn't listen to them, just continues with his "I'm the Messiah, best person in the world to give advice" type rant.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grazer wrote
just continues with his "I'm the Messiah, best person in the world to give advice" type rant.

Well, with the authority invested in me by Monty Python, I can declare that

[youtube]plZRe1kPWZw[/youtube]

The 'go away' isn't directed at Bonny.

Geoff

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Grazer said:
Me too; trouble is, he doesn't listen to them, just continues with his "I'm the Messiah, best person in the world to give advice" type rant.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Actually I don't mind him, I agree that exercise plus whole-foods are the basis of good diabetic control.

I disagree with "heart-healthy carbs", because there really is no such thing. (I'm not saying that all carbohydrates are "heart-unhealthy", but it is wrong to brand carbohydrates as "heart-healthy" when many have been implicated as a cause of cv disease).