Type 2 Brittle And Breaking Nails

drystoneradio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad mannered people
I've had T2 for about 10 years, My nails in the past couple of months have become very brittle and break at the least touch, I've even woken up in a mornings with a broken nail or two. Trouble is if my toe nails break, it means a draw of blood. can anyone advise please?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice would be to discuss with your doctor - nails can be a bit of a "canary in the coalmine" for health - apparently psoriatic nails are extremely common among diabetics. There are also a myriad of vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can be involved, hence the number of different "hair, nails and skin" supplements available - Vitamin A, zinc, iron and others.

Reactions: 2 people

drystoneradio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad mannered people
My advice would be to discuss with your doctor - nails can be a bit of a "canary in the coalmine" for health - apparently psoriatic nails are extremely common among diabetics. There are also a myriad of vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can be involved, hence the number of different "hair, nails and skin" supplements available - Vitamin A, zinc, iron and others.
Thank you :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars are between 4.5 and 9.5...pretty good actually. My Hba1c's are 74 ...

Hi,

Sorry to break it to you, but if your HbA1c is 74, then that makes your average blood glucose somewhere around 11.8mmol/l, and that is MUCH higher than ideal. (see chart below).

The NHS likes us to have an HbA1c of around 53 (which equates to 8.6mmol/l on average)

hba1c-chart.jpg

The NHS likes us to aim for these blood glucose levels, because the higher our blood glucose goes, the greater likelihood of developing diabetic complications.

upload_2016-8-16_21-45-38.png