Broccoli

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I had a home made Sunday lunch today and had Sainsburys frozen broccoli and boiled cabbage. I normally love broccoli and cabbage but the cabbage tasted really sweet and the broccoli also. Have tried normal steamed broccoli also - same thing, tasted very sweet as well as steamed cabbage. Is broccoli normally sweet and cabbage or is it just something I have noticed since going lchf? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same :bored:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find vegetables taste much sweeter than they used to prior to my T2 diagnosis, and imagine that it's because my taste buds have improved since going keto. I know over the years plantsmen have created new strains of vegetables that used to taste bitter and now don't, so possibly that has some impact as well.

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegetables have been cross-bred for ages and given that sugar/sweetness is still good for sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the vegetables we have now have more fructose than before.

I remember when lettuce and cucumber were considered zero carb for diabetics, but now I have to account for them in my carb count. Only celery and spinach left in the zero carb box :(

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Yes I think I will grow my own again this year, luckily I have enough space in my garden to do it. But will have to wait till later this year for the broccoli. Courgettes and lettuce this year and toms for hubby. Funny how they taste sweet. Hopefully homegrown wont be the same. I cannot eat strawberry's have a reoccurring strawberry patch that I leave for the birds now! :)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not cooked either of these vegetables from frozen, but to my mind modern varieties of both broccoli and cabbage taste sweet eaten raw and even more so once cooked.

Heat brings out the natural sugars which these brassicas release as they cook.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find lots of veggies sweet in taste. The other day I was making sins lunch and munched down on a romaine lettuce leaf and remarked to my hubby that I felt I was eating a biscuit it was that sweeter

ETA I mean sons not sins - mind you the way he’s behaved last week I may have been right the first time lol

Last edited:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It baffles me why chef's and food writers persist in adding increasing amounts of caster sugar, honey and/or maple syrup to their vegetable creations. (Ottolenghi is one of the worst. but he's not the only one). We've known since the 1970s that this habit is harmful to diabetics and it isn't doing those of us who are not diabetic any favours either.

To claim it's a treat for a special occasion is not good enough. We're not all celebrating every flipping day of the week!

• Agree
Reactions: AloeSvea

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I think I will grow my own again this year, luckily I have enough space in my garden to do it. But will have to wait till later this year for the broccoli. Courgettes and lettuce this year and toms for hubby. Funny how they taste sweet. Hopefully homegrown wont be the same. I cannot eat strawberry's have a reoccurring strawberry patch that I leave for the birds now! :)
We have heirloom vegetable seeds here in Canada. I'm sure the UK must have them too. I much prefer the old varieties. My only exception are sprouts. They always tasted bitter, but now they don't.