Bs monitoring.. watch???

Woollyfuller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I'm a bit **** at checking my blood sugar levels. Is there a watch or a device that you can wear that'll do it for you? There's got to be something, but I'm not finding much on the web.

Let me know.

Thanks.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a bit **** at checking my blood sugar levels. Is there a watch or a device that you can wear that'll do it for you? There's got to be something, but I'm not finding much on the web.

That would be because the device as you describe it does not currently exist.

You could look at continuous glucose monitoring - dexcom or enlite/guardian. Or flash glucose monitoring - freestyle libre. But none of these options is like a watch. They involve invasive sensors inserted via self injection - but then we're all fairly familiar with an injection, so shouldn't be a big deal.

A CGM or libre are fairly pricey. They would have to be self funded. Being a bit **** at testing isn't a reason for NHS funding, generally you would have to be testing minimum 7 times a day for NHS funding for CGM to even be discussed.

None of the options are replacements for finger stick testing.

Do you know why you're a bit **** at testing? What's the issue with it? Can you try setting yourself small goals to try and improve, something like "this week I'll test once a day" or "this week I'll test every day before breakfast and before bed". Really, the minimum you should be testing is before each meal and before bed and if you drive before driving. You can make it so you just test on autopilot without even thinking about it, but it takes a bit of effort to establish a habit to get there. You could try things like a post it note on the fridge, or in the cutlery drawer, on your placemat or in your lunch box to remind you to test. You could ask for a couple of back up monitors so you can keep one in the kitchen and one at work so there's always one around to test. Have a think about what you could do to solve the issue with testing and make it as easy as possible for yourself.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I used to be not the best at testing mainly because of frustrations at not being able to lower my BGL, my HbA1C at the time was 9. I took myself (my endocrinologist did not think it would help) off to DAFNE and now have a HbA1C of 7, because of DAFNE I know a lot more about the condition and how I can manage it better to achieve better long term health.