BS Readings erratic, any ideas?

meJulie

Hi

I started on a low carb diet yesterday(south beach diet) My readings were as below

On waking 10.9 breakfast, 2 egg and mushroom omelette, 2 hours after 7.5

before lunch 8.1 lunch, mackerel and salad, 2 hours after 7.0 no more readings for yesterday

Today

On waking 9.4, breakfast 2 egg cheese omelette, 30 mins at gym, 2 hours after 9.9

before evening meal 10.1

no more for today yet, but have been feeling quite strange today, Any ideas? Are readings ok?

Would love some feedback. Thanks.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't really offer advice on low carbing sorry. I do know that your liver will still pump glucose in to you, to give you energy especially when exercising. But if your body can't absorb it they will stay higher than they should. Hopefully other low carbers could offer some advice.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im sure you will :) are you on any meds, insulin ?

meJulie

I am on 4 x metformin slow release, but they want to put me on gliktiizide or however you spell it lol, because my last reading was 8.1 so I am trying to low carb, to try and avoid more meds, I really dont want to go on it, as will have to constantly monitor bloods etc.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With higher than normal readings and low carbing you might need the extra meds. Hopefully you can bring them down with a bit of time. However can you carry on eating like that. If not would be better with extra meds and having a few carbs.

meJulie

Just thought I should try low carbing before going on meds, as apparently easier if you are not on anything other than metformin

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried posting in the low carb section. Personally I would rather have meds and eat carbs. also, when more protein is consumed your body will have to break it down by releasing glycogen which turns it into sugar for the body to use as energy. Also if not enough is eaten the liver will secrete glucose to give you energy.