BS readings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the alcohol. Red wine has very few carbs so unlikely to spike us but it will lower us whilst it is still in the system. (Beer is full of sugar so will spike high before it lowers).

Last night I ate a meal with more wine than normal, and which I was still eating at 8-30pm. Didn't test. Went to bed at 11pm on 4.6. (normal average 5.3) I didn't deserve a 4.6 about 2.5hrs after finishing the meal I'd had, so it had to be the wine. The problem with me is, when I go to bed on a 4 I get a liver dump during the night. I was 5.6 this morning.

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 4.6 pre dinner
2hrs post dinner 4.7 (did have a couple of vodkas with my fab black farmers )
Bed time 5.1
Fasting today 5.2

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417362363.592734.jpg

Had a great al fresco lunch with friends and family at a traditional taverna in a nearby village.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417362322.454962.jpg

Tried to make my selections as low carb as I could but I did have a small helping of desert; a traditional cheesecake made with sweetened anari cheese but without the jam topping or the biscuit base, these are substituted with some phyllo pastry flakes and honey,

My readings were 5,1 at one hour and 5,3 at two hours post prandial.

A very pleasant surprise.

I will need to experiment some more with that particular desert; in the name of science of course:)

Pavlos

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
View attachment 8621

Had a great al fresco lunch with friends and family at a traditional taverna in a nearby village.

View attachment 8620

Tried to make my selections as low carb as I could but I did have a small helping of desert; a traditional cheesecake made with sweetened anari cheese but without the jam topping or the biscuit base, these are substituted with some phyllo pastry flakes and honey,

My readings were 5,1 at one hour and 5,3 at two hours post prandial.

A very pleasant surprise.

I will need to experiment some more with that particular desert; in the name of science of course:)

Pavlos

"I will need to experiment some more with that particular desert; in the name of science of course:)" and for the future benefit of all mankind of course.

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"I will need to experiment some more with that particular desert; in the name of science of course:)" and for the future benefit of all mankind of course.
Does that not sound like those beauty pageant contestants who always want "world peace and end of suffering for all" lol :)

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

I feel very happy today
Pre breakfast 6.9
After (brazil nut on waking was down on fasting
Pre lunch 4.2
And after ( v few carbs). 3.8
Currently 4.2
Daytime readings so much better

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does that not sound like those beauty pageant contestants who always want "world peace and end of suffering for all" lol :)

Yes ,or even more like a politician. The big difference is however ,that when a beauty queen babbles her nonsense I still , for reasons you will appreciate ,pay attention to her presence. Whereas with the politician I would quickly switch channels.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel very happy today
Pre breakfast 6.9
After (brazil nut on waking was down on fasting
Pre lunch 4.2
And after ( v few carbs). 3.8
Currently 4.2
Daytime readings so much better
Wow alliebee those numbers are low. Did you feel ok at 3,8 and 4,2. Anything under 4,5 and I start feeling anxious. At 3,8 even the fridge doors would start looking like a desirable meal to me lol :)

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow alliebee those numbers are low. Did you feel ok at 3,8 and 4,2. Anything under 4,5 and I start feeling anxious. At 3,8 even the fridge doors would start looking like a desirable meal to me lol :)
Nibbling nuts on waking does it for me
smilie011.gif

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

No I've been a bit concerned but I had no need to be. A great weekend breakfast of canadian bacon and poached eggs. When I was in insulin 2 years ago I hit these numbers and although I was worried and tested carefully I never felt bad...on the contrary I felt really good
I've been getting much lower numbers recently in the day. Esp as I'm trying to stop losing weight and I'm eating bigger portions yet staying to my 40g approx of carbs...I feel really well in fact...apart from craving crisp apples lol

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I've been a bit concerned but I had no need to be. A great weekend breakfast of canadian bacon and poached eggs. When I was in insulin 2 years ago I hit these numbers and although I was worried and tested carefully I never felt bad...on the contrary I felt really good
I've been getting much lower numbers recently in the day. Esp as I'm trying to stop losing weight and I'm eating bigger portions yet staying to my 40g approx of carbs...I feel really well in fact...apart from craving crisp apples lol

I find I can manage half an apple as long as I have some cheese with it. well done on the low numbers. x

alliebee

Thankyou. Currently enjoying lovely Sunday meal with some nice red wine
Absolutely thrilled at these numbers but I don't aim to stay this low..I've cracked maintaining now but would be happier to see 6's after meals really I've given up with my fasting. I've got to accept it. Else I will be dropping far too low at 2 pm. Its the way my body works. All in all I'm happy now..

Reactions: 7 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did an experiment this morning, fasting reading of 6.1 at 0700, then fell back asleep till late morning. Grabbed a 60g bowl of cornflakes with a banana and semi skimmed ( my pre diagnosis breakkie ) I took a test at +1 hour and showed a spike of 11.8, took the dogs out for a brisk 45 minute walk and tested again. 6.5 . Other than this i have not had very many carbs all day.

A huge spike I know but a relatively quick recovery, is it dangerous to spike like this . ? Or am I just making the whole process of getting my BG under control harder.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did an experiment this morning, fasting reading of 6.1 at 0700, then fell back asleep till late morning. Grabbed a 60g bowl of cornflakes with a banana and semi skimmed ( my pre diagnosis breakkie ) I took a test at +1 hour and showed a spike of 11.8, took the dogs out for a brisk 45 minute walk and tested again. 6.5 . Other than this i have not had very many carbs all day.

A huge spike I know but a relatively quick recovery, is it dangerous to spike like this . ? Or am I just making the whole process of getting my BG under control harder.

I would say that anyone at all, including non-diabetics, would experience a similar spike at 1 hour after that breakfast. The trick is for it to come down to under 6.5 at 2 hours ...... and you did this, so all is well. Its a shame you took the dog out as it spoils the scientific experiment to see if your insulin brought it down or your exercise. Impossible to know.

By the way, that was my pre-diagnosis brekkie too. Lol.

alliebee

I've tested my non diabetic family who all spike at one hour even to 10 or11..back to normal at 2 hours...its all about how we as diabetics return to base line

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really interesting as I think I have a skewed perception of what is normal for a non-diabetic- I look at the NICE figures and think that means they never spike when they so obviously do, but manage to come down by the 2hrs, which I am now doing. I was a bit disappointed by my 7.1 post Indian meal but guess it was good enough! I find at times that being diabetic is just another thing I beat myself up about not dealing with well.

Reactions: 9 people