Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
OK, Mike. Here’s my 2p worth.

A few days ago, I suggested it would be worthwhile for you to try to relax a bit, in the light of your second set of excellent bloods. I’m not seeing too much of that, just yet.

The thing about diabetes is it isn’t a simple “do x thing and the result will be y”. If that was the case, we’d all have all the answers, and this forum probably wouldn’t exist. The other thing that is clear to me is that we simply don’t have all the answers; even on a day to day basis. We have to accept that.

My own philosophy has taken a bit of arriving at, but when it comes to apparently random readings, unless I can be certain I did something (like snaffle a whole Black Forest Gateaux or the like), I try not to pin too much on a single outlying reading. They happen. There are too many potential reasons why they might happen to waste head space on, and in reality, what are we going to do about it anyway, if it’s a one-off, or occasional occurrence? Sometimes, we just have to record the score, shrug our shoulders whilst saying to ourselves, “weird, but b*&^%$red if I know why”, and get on with our day/evening, as if it hadn’t happened. If that weirdness becomes a trend (and your records would show this), then, yes, do some further digging, if the trend is something you don’t like.

You are torturing yourself, and that makes no sense in anyone’s universe. Planet Breathe is a happier place since I became reconciled to (reluctantly) accepting I’d never have all the answers.
Thanks AB :) I will be working on it. No thumping this morning and feeling pretty good. Due to the fact I now know I can largely control the readings with exercise (and conclusively, I know I can due to figures and testing B4 and after) I'll just settle for that and trust the overall numbers improve.

Thanks again for your time and advice :) Mike

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Late tonight due to late evening meal

Pre breakfast 6, 2hrs after 7.3
Forgot pre lunch, 2hrs after lunch 6.3
Pre evening meal 6, 2hrs after 6.1

Not sure if that a good or bad reading but bar one they are all fairly close, is that good or bad??

Reactions: 6 people

alliebee

Hi alliebee :)

Yep, my BP is high (anything between 145 and 160) and he's prescribed a boosted version of olmetec (BP tablet) that I've been on for 4 days.

I think it's slowly working as yesterday was virtually stress free after the initial bad BS readings. Great analysis AB :) Mike

Your symptoms completely pointed to high BP..I'm glad your dr picked that up. Sadly high bp tends to go with diabetes. Your new med will help.protect your kidneys too.
Merry Christmas Mike

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Your symptoms completely pointed to high BP..I'm glad your dr picked that up. Sadly high bp tends to go with diabetes. Your new med will help.protect your kidneys too.
Merry Christmas Mike

Thanks Alliebee :) That's great news actually.

... and a safe and joyous Christmas to you as well :)

Mike

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, Mike. Here’s my 2p worth.

A few days ago, I suggested it would be worthwhile for you to try to relax a bit, in the light of your second set of excellent bloods. I’m not seeing too much of that, just yet.

The thing about diabetes is it isn’t a simple “do x thing and the result will be y”. If that was the case, we’d all have all the answers, and this forum probably wouldn’t exist. The other thing that is clear to me is that we simply don’t have all the answers; even on a day to day basis. We have to accept that.

My own philosophy has taken a bit of arriving at, but when it comes to apparently random readings, unless I can be certain I did something (like snaffle a whole Black Forest Gateaux or the like), I try not to pin too much on a single outlying reading. They happen. There are too many potential reasons why they might happen to waste head space on, and in reality, what are we going to do about it anyway, if it’s a one-off, or occasional occurrence? Sometimes, we just have to record the score, shrug our shoulders whilst saying to ourselves, “weird, but b*&^%$red if I know why”, and get on with our day/evening, as if it hadn’t happened. If that weirdness becomes a trend (and your records would show this), then, yes, do some further digging, if the trend is something you don’t like.

You are torturing yourself, and that makes no sense in anyone’s universe. Planet Breathe is a happier place since I became reconciled to (reluctantly) accepting I’d never have all the answers.
An excellent post @AndBreath.

Developing a relaxed approach in one's emotional response to diabetes, while at the same time not relaxing one's efforts to control it, may appear like a contradiction and difficult/impossible to achieve but it is in my opinion the best way forward for all diabetics.

It is a balance that probably only comes with increased practice and experience with this disease.

And accepting that we do not have all the answers and may not be able to always engineer the same favorable outputs by just repeating the same inputs is certainly part of this.

Pavlos

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Agreed .... now that I feel I can divorce (so to speak) one issue from the other (despite the fact they're tied to some degree) I am a little more confident I can put T2 in one corner and BP in another. The former is under control thru good readings, diet, exercise and HB1AC results.

The latter needs attention. Right now I'm 7.1 .... so back to the pavement for me. Thanks to all for your collective patience with me as i come to grips with all the nuances of this issue :) You're my rock(s).

Mike.

Reactions: 8 people

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not a good start to the day 9.7 :(

Updated: 2hrs later I am 7.7

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late tonight due to late evening meal

Pre breakfast 6, 2hrs after 7.3
Forgot pre lunch, 2hrs after lunch 6.3
Pre evening meal 6, 2hrs after 6.1

Not sure if that a good or bad reading but bar one they are all fairly close, is that good or bad??

Your post meal rises are excellent, well done. Your pre-meal levels could do with coming down a little, but not much. Generally speaking, our pre-evening meal levels are usually the lowest of the day. Perhaps you should look at what you are doing between after lunch and before evening meal???

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 19 Dec, with no excersize
4.5 Bed
Breakfast Fasting
5.3 1hr
5.4 2hr
4.8 Pre Lunch
7.6 1hr Cracker Bread with ham & tried a small amount of Branston
5.2 2.5hrs
4.6 Pre Dinner
5.5 1hr 1 glass red wine
4.6 2hr 2nd glass red wine 1 sq 81% choc
4.4 Bed Thought this was OK
Today
5.0 Breakfast Fasting
Pleased with all these

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 fasting
6.6 at 21/2 hrs post breakfast which I'll take as thickish slice of spelt bread and in bed doing nothing other than feeling very sorry for myself.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well, things are getting better, pre lunch was 5.3

Still not sure why pre breakfast was through the roof

Reactions: 8 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to normal(if there is such a thing)....
5.4 before tea. Salmon salad so not going to bother testing until bed. Up and out tomorrow to Thursford Xmas show. So no show here from me until later or Monday.
plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon.gif

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not my best day ever

Pre Breakfast 9.7, 2hrs after 7.7
Pre lunch 5.3, 1hrs 20 minutes after 7.8 (timing was a mistake on my part)
Pre evening meal 6.5, 2hrs after 7.3

I have no idea why my pre breakfast was so high as I had not had anything to eat since my evening meal the night before which was 6.1 at 11:20pm last night (at 2hrs after). I had some fresh cherries with last night evening meal, would that push my BS overnight??

My lunch time reading was simply I forgot what time we had lunch and I thought we had lunch a bit earlier than it was, I did not realise to quite late this afternoon. At the end of the day my evening meal is my best after having Chicken Tikka Masala Curry with a little rice

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 before dinner
ate far too many chips and fish- then had to take cat to vets for emergency treatment- 11.1!!!!! Highest I have sen on my meter ever so losing 4st hasn't reversed anything here.

Reactions: 7 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Don't worry cold ethyl, it's the stress you will be back in a good place v soon, ::))