Bubbles in novorapid insulin

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My diabetic nurse told me it was unsafe to inject insulin with bubbles in cartridge. I get quite a lot of these and spend a lot of time flicking the cartridge to try and get rid of, not always successful. Have tried the recommendations from other threads. Also find bubbles within cartridge case makes it hard to distinguish exactly where bubble is. So is it safe to inject with bubbles in insulin? Thanks

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
Hi there, did you mean to post this in the diabetes and eating disorders forum? If yes that's absolutely no problem as we welcome all diabetes related discussions here but just wanted to double check as your post didn't mention eating disorder issues :). Thanks.

& yes as @justbe said they are usually harmless and to be expected sometime. But if you can get rid of them by flicking the cartridge and making sure the vial is upright and settled before you use it then that's all the better. I was told the same by my nurse. I wouldn't worry too much unless you feel your sugar levels are being impacted.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been told this in fact an Nhs out of hours doctor told me it would be absolutely fine to inject even though there was a bubble x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's best to check each injection you use for air bubbles, as they do form quite regularly. It's perfectly normal, and safe to inject AFTER you get rid of it. To do this simply hold the pen with the needle tip pointed up (so the air bubble rises towards the needle). Then set it at 4-5 units and eject the insulin , and hopefully with the air bubble. If there's still a small bubble or two repeat the process until they are all gone.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all for your replies will try worry less about bubbles in future the smaller bubbles are the most stubborn. No sorry didn't realise was eating disorder thread. Probably too upset having to stay up late again faffing around with insulin.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi All
This thread intrigues me.
When I was an awful lot younger and used to draw and mix my own insulin it was drummed into me to avoid air bubbles like the plague as if they get under your skin they would make their way to your heart and kill you.....
In those days it was easy as you had a syringe and could see the offending bubble and flick like a good un til it had gone.
Mixing insulin made this quite a common occurance.
Years have moved on and I had almost forgotten this and I can't say I've noticed bubbles in the new fangled vials I use now (lol) but I shall keep my beady eye on this and report back.

Tony
Type 1 of 43 years.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Air into a vein would be an issue and could kill you. But we all inject/insert into subcutaneous fat so no great risk other than underdosing on insulin.