Burner Shake.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I am considering a meal replacement shake for my voyage into the ND. Potentially - I have never been less sure of anything in my life!

I like the idea of meal replacement shakes for many reasons, I dislike the ones used in the study because 20g of carbs per shake, particularly in the morning would set my BG high all day.

Has anyone heard of or used Burner Shake. They look good - and are low carb, 5G or 10G per portion at 200 calories. Interested in alternatives too.

SusieN7

Hi all,
I am considering a meal replacement shake for my voyage into the ND. Potentially - I have never been less sure of anything in my life!

I like the idea of meal replacement shakes for many reasons, I dislike the ones used in the study because 20g of carbs per shake, particularly in the morning would set my BG high all day.

Has anyone heard of or used Burner Shake. They look good - and are low carb, 5G or 10G per portion at 200 calories. Interested in alternatives too.

SusieN7

I wish I could help, but I can't - sorry! I've beer tried meal replacement shakes. However, if you like the idea, why not try them out? You'll soon know for yourself if they are right for you, or not. Wishing you all the best! :)

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I wouldn't worry about the carb content - I think Prof Taylor might actually have addressed this somewhere on the ND website? Despite eating the carbs the low calorie element drops your BS regardless. How many is it per shake, 30g? So probably still only 100 a day?

The advantage of the shakes is that they're nutritionally complete. Surely if you're cutting down to 800 a day you have to ensure that you are getting enough of what your body needs - if you're using a low carb option (e.g. Atkins shakes) then you will have to make sure you're getting enough protein elsewhere, unless you can find a shake that substitutes carbs for protein.

I'm sure other people have done similar things though so totally up to you. I'm planning a run at ND in the new year, and for me even though it seems counter-intuitive to be taking in carbs I'm going to replicate their methods as closely as I can.

Edit: don't mean to be discouraging by the way! Go for it :)

Reactions: Fleegle

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Prof Taylor says in one of his talks that "nutritionally complete" is not needed for a short-term diet (under 3 months) as our bodies are good at storing nutrition and we are starting of being "well fed". I expect that being very low calorie (well under 1000 a day) is the only real requirement.

I don't like the level of carbs in the shakes hence would not use them for 5:2 but Prof Taylor results clearly shows peoples bodies soon start to cope with some carbs when on very low calorie.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ringi & @AlexMagd
In the end I decided on the Tesco shake - almost the same macros as the optimax so as close as.
They have about 25G carbs in - which is about the same for me as almost my total carbs for 2 days currently!

boppa18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoke, pomposity, cruelty of any sort - animal or human..
I had a go at making my own shakes, using the Blood Sugar Diet guidance from Dr Michael Moseley plus some online recipes. In 10 days I lost 10lbs and my insulin requirements dropped by 50%...it was brilliant!!
I was never hungry and enjoyed the shakes. However, my previous depression reared it's ugly head again and I didn't just 'fall off the wagon', I watched it go over the hill and waved it goodbye
I know the shakes worked and I felt healthy and energised.
I have very high hopes of climbing aboard again, one day soon
Good luck and keep us posted