Butter Beans - effect on blood sugars for T1?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - can anyone tell me their experience with eating butter beans and the effect it has on their blood sugars. I'm thinking of using them in a soup or stew or just making my own beans gigantes (basically homemade beans baked beans without sugar) as we have in Greece.
I've been eating small tins of baked beans recently (17g carbs) and they produce excellent blood sugar results after 2 hours. Thank

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Butter beans come in at 36 on the glycemic index so are classed as a low-gi food. I use beans all the time in stews and stir-fry's and have never experienced postprandial highs, try them and test afterwards to see what effect they have! :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Will do - think I was more concerned about postprandial lows due to the slow release :crazy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Riri said:
Will do - think I was more concerned about postprandial lows due to the slow release :crazy:

That's something else to consider, it depends what else you have with the meal which could alter the gi-value, as I say it's better to test and see and adjust insulin accordingly.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I love Sainsbury's Butterbean, Red Pepper & Coriander Salad from their salad bar and I ate a small tub of it about 2 hours ago. There are no other ingredients in it apart from a sliver of garlic and it's in a little bit of sauce which is oil based and has a sweetness to it with a kick of chilli.

I don't know how many carbs are in it because it's from the salad bar but I've just tested and my BS is only 6.7 which is great for me post prandial so I think that'll be a regular thing for me. :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Riri said:
Hia - can anyone tell me their experience with eating butter beans and the effect it has on their blood sugars. I'm thinking of using them in a soup or stew or just making my own beans gigantes (basically homemade beans baked beans without sugar) as we have in Greece.
I've been eating small tins of baked beans recently (17g carbs) and they produce excellent blood sugar results after 2 hours. Thank

Sounds nice Riri ... can you let us have the recipe please? I'd like to try it out. :)

shop

I include butter beans, chick peas and different types of beans to stews/ roasts to help lower the GI of the meal. Any type of pulse will slow down the digestion because of its make up (outer husk etc.)

I love butter beans added to roast chicken or lamb with veg stock celery, veg and garlic and herbs all in 1 pot and it makes it go further and less need for potatoes :)

Lucy xxx