Cabs and weight

Vince01

Hi,my name is Vince, I have, fairly recently, been diagnosed with T2, I'm sort of getting the gist but not really, I'm so confused.
I have always been on the thin side,i'm 64, so all of the diabetic recipes that I have found are low carb with the emphasis on losing weight.
I am, quite active and if I don't have enough carbs I get Shakey and feel drained so my glucose levels do go up to around 10mmol a day.
Can anyone give me a bit of advice on how to change this.
Many thanks.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi @Vince01
Our bodies are the original duel fuel vehicle, we can run on glucose or we can use fats to keep us going.
Our bodies are designed to switch between the two, the reason we store fat is to fuel us when we can't get a quick fix of glucose.
The problem is our modern diet where every mouthful is laden with sugar (carbs) and we seem to have been brainwashed with an irrational fear of fats.
If you have a problem using carbohydrates it makes perfect sense to up the fats in your diet, use the alternative that evolution has provided us with.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2 so I know how you feel ! I eat plenty of low carb foods ,butter on my vegetables Avocados ,cheese nuts full fat yoghurt with berries and double cream .A small piece of high cocoa chocolate melted whipped up with double cream makes a yummy pud
Carol

• Winner
Reactions: Omar51 and filly

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,my name is Vince, I have, fairly recently, been diagnosed with T2, I'm sort of getting the gist but not really, I'm so confused.
I have always been on the thin side,i'm 64, so all of the diabetic recipes that I have found are low carb with the emphasis on losing weight.
I am, quite active and if I don't have enough carbs I get Shakey and feel drained so my glucose levels do go up to around 10mmol a day.
Can anyone give me a bit of advice on how to change this.
Many thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum. T2 has a lot to do with too much body fat but it's possible to be a thin T2 as well (I'm not one of those people). Basically, if the blood sugar gets too high it's a sign that the body's metabolism isn't working correctly. High bood sugar causes damage to the body - kidneys, eyes, feet can all be affected by neuropathy, for example. If you've been accustomed to getting all your energy from carbs this can be a real problem.

You are getting daily readings of 10 m/mol - is that after food? What food in particular? You might find that you need to up your protein and fat intake.

Vince01

Hi @Vince01
Our bodies are the original duel fuel vehicle, we can run on glucose or we can use fats to keep us going.
Our bodies are designed to switch between the two, the reason we store fat is to fuel us when we can't get a quick fix of glucose.
The problem is our modern diet where every mouthful is laden with sugar (carbs) and we seem to have been brainwashed with an irrational fear of fats.
If you have a problem using carbohydrates it makes perfect sense to up the fats in your diet, use the alternative that evolution has provided us with.
Thanks catinahat,
Your post has helped, I am now drinking whey protein with full fat milk and gained 4 pounds! I'm starting to get some meat on my bones, I think that my BG meter is going doolaly, I keep getting different readings from the same meals??.
Thanks again

Reactions: catinahat

Vince01

I am a skinny type 2 so I know how you feel ! I eat plenty of low carb foods ,butter on my vegetables Avocados ,cheese nuts full fat yoghurt with berries and double cream .A small piece of high cocoa chocolate melted whipped up with double cream makes a yummy pud
Carol
That sounds really nice, will try.
I'm fed up with porridge every morning but it does keep me going (no shakey weakness).
Vince

Vince01

Hi and welcome to the forum. T2 has a lot to do with too much body fat but it's possible to be a thin T2 as well (I'm not one of those people). Basically, if the blood sugar gets too high it's a sign that the body's metabolism isn't working correctly. High bood sugar causes damage to the body - kidneys, eyes, feet can all be affected by neuropathy, for example. If you've been accustomed to getting all your energy from carbs this can be a real problem.

You are getting daily readings of 10 m/mol - is that after food? What food in particular? You might find that you need to up your protein and fat intake.
Thanks for your reply, yes I always ate a higher carb diet,well I say "diet", I really didn't eat healthy foods for years so it's difficult to readjust. But, I think,I'm getting there. I didn't know I could have a higher fat intake so fat up and carbs down and see how that goes.
Thanks