Calf pain swollen ankles

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just looking for some advice...
Been suffering pains in my calf area for a few weeks now.

This week I'm away on business and I've really struggled to walk as my calfs are hurting though if I press them there is no pain as they would be if it were muscle related.

My ankles are also starring to swell.

I am on statins but have been a couple of month and had no real side effects.

Very worried anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a similar problem last month.GP sent me for tests .It turned out to be a blood clot in my leg .For goodness sake get it checked out ASAP particularly as your traveling.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on statins but have been a couple of month and had no real side effects.
Stating the absolutely bleeding obvious, that's what happened to me and I spent two separate months in an armchair unable to walk so maybe you should think it out again.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Statins are well known for muscle pain

Also are you new to insulin? Insulin depletes potassium which can cause muscle cramps and swelling. Try adding avocado and celery to your diet

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are in the UK, see if you can find the local walk-in centre or go to A&E perhaps? If you haven't done any exercise that would cause this sort of pain, you are better off being safe than sorry.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - eliminate the blot clot possibility asap.
Other contenders are (from my limited knowledge) the statins, metformin, lack of magnesium or potassium due to Low Carbing without enough mineral/salt intake.

Sorry, haven't checked to see what other medication you may be on, to see if any of those are relevant, but please eliminate the blood clots before worrying about any of the others! Hope that helps.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Hi Carterbpool
Good advice given.
It's a Call To Action.
Don't wait. (Well you might have to in the A&E). But be Safe, not Sorry.:rolleyes::oops: