Calling all canoeists...

Nomi

Hey Guys,

I'm heading away on a canoeing trip this weekend and wondered if anyone could offer any advice for managing BG levels. The last time I went canoeing was in my 'non-diabetic' days and i'm feeling a little aprehensive to say the least! I cope fairly well on days out walking when i usually start with a high ish BG eg. 12 and munch on a mars bar or the like after a few hours :D

The trip shouldnt be too intense, just a few bubbly rivers and lake paddling but i'm wondering whether the best tactic is to adjust my insulin or to take nibbles or both! bearing in mind that it might not be all that easy to eat and paddle!

Also any suggestions for ways to store my insulin so that it won't freeze.... I have heard snow is possible... :shock:

Thanks!!

jopar

Hi nomi

I'm afraid I can't really advice on the best tactic concerning whether to adjust your insulin dose or go for the muching, it partly personal choice and partly I don't canoe..

But to prevent your insulin getting frozen, you can do one of two things, either stash it in the middle of a rucksack, so the contents act as an insulator, or keep it in a inside pocket near to the bodys as possible, it would also be a good idea to do this with your blood glucose meter and strips, these can grumble at being cold as well..

As to the conoeing and making your choice of action plan, I would consider the effects of your walking, against what actions of canoeing... Does walking, and using the big muscles in your legs, take more energy than the action of using to smaller muscles in your arms to paddle? How much is the adrinain (sp) rush canoeing going to effect your blood sugar levels, adding this into the factor may make a difference to what action plan you use..

what ever you choose, ensure that you take regular blood tests, partly to ensure you keep your self out of trouble, but also this will be your guide for the next time you go to build your action plan, I would also suggest regular BG testing after you've enjoyed yourself, so that you can build a picture of what changes you may need to make later on.. sometimes there is a time lag, between when you exercised and when it hits/impacts on the blood sugars..

I hope this is helpful and hopefully someone else might come along with experience of this, and give you more information

Nomi

Cheers Jopar, I hadn't actually thought of the adrenaline rush and thats a good point! I will pack my insulin in with my clothes to keep it warm and on a night it can go in my sleeping bag with me! I'm sure evrything will work out. I'll see how i get on on the first day and use that as a guide i think -as to whether to munch or adjust my insulin. keep your fingers crossed that it doesnt snow!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 1 diabetes and canoe / kayak quite often - more usually longer touring trips than white water, although have done a bit of that eg 5 day trip along Caledonian Canal Fort William to Inverness, 4 day River Ouse tour last Easter, May trips to Rivr Wye & many evening / weekend paddles on River Cam.
My key tip is to wear a bouyancy aid with pockets for food, as it's very difficult to access food kept under your spray deck. I use snacks - boiled sweets, muesli bars etc in ziplock bags if the food packet isn't adequate. I can also keep my blood glucose meter in a BA pocket, inside a roll over topped bag sealed with velcro, as sold for mobile phones, cameras etc.
As long as insulin doesn't come into contact with snow, it is very unlikely to freeze, so placing on an insulating sleep mat or deep inside a bag is usually OK.
For other advice on outdoor activities with diabetes, you might like to try MAD - Mountains for Active Diabetics http://diabetic.friendsinhighplaces.org/
Happy paddling!

DiabetesTom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know its a bit late to say but still worth noting down.
Cooler bags

barnitts.co.uk/products/details/7207.html

Just don't use it for cooling, its actually an insulation bag so what ever the internal temperature is, it should stay for quite a while depending on the build. The outside temperature should have little effect on the insides.