Can a Doctor inform DVLA about a patient on Insulin?

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I searched online but have not been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

So I turn to the forum . . . Does anybody know . . .

Can a Doctor initiate contact with the DVLA, to inform the DVLA that they feel their Diabetic patient (on Insulin) is unfit to drive?

Is a Doctor within their rights to do that? Or can they only respond to a request for information from the DVLA, after the patient themself has contacted the DVLA?

I would have thought that a Doctor initiating contact with DVLA might breach confidentiality rules? But I'm not sure of the exact situation.

The background to my question is that I recently had a disastrous first appointment at the Diabetes Centre at my local hospital. The Doctor that I spoke with absolutely hated my strategy for managing my Diabetes (Ketogenic diet) and raised several objections. I thought all these objections were ill-informed, and the consult did not proceed very well. :(

She thought that I was having too many 'lows', and the topic of DVLA came up. I could not be really sure (her English was excellent, but not her first language, so maybe difficult to pick up subtle things) but I got the impression during our chat that she was implying/threatening that she would/could inform the DVLA that she felt the management of my Diabetes was not good enough to ensure safe driving. Since the appointment I've been wondering if a Doctor has the power/authority to do this?

(fyi, I returned to the UK this year from living abroad; I completed the DIAB1 form honestly, and was granted a 3-year licence without any issues. I totally comply with all the guidelines for drivers on Insulin. But from this forum I know that incorrect information from Doctors - where they have ticked the wrong box for example - is extremely difficult and time-consuming to undo.)

Thanks for any information!

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 2 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are personally under an obligation to inform the DVLA of any medical condition that may affect your ability to drive. If you have an accident whilst suffering an hypo then you could be charged with driving under the influence of drugs.

Additionally as I found out to my own cost your insurance can be nullified and void.

I had the misfortune to run over a drunk pedestrian who stepped out in front of me when I was eight feet away from him. The insurance company immediately investigated and found out that I had not told them of my medical conidtion. They immediately said my insurance was null and void.

I spent over £1000 in solicitors fees only to find out that if the pedestrian died I would face going to prison for fourteen years "through causing death whilst driving an uninsured car"

Fortunately for me the guy survived, but I learnt my lesson, and to keep all my bases covered, I keep my insurance company and the DVLA fully aware of my condition.

I hope this proves to be of help to you

Mart

P.S. I had a brilliant conversation with a lady from the DVLA, medical centre, she said because I take glicazide, I must test before I drive, and then every two hours, of the journey. She also suggested carrying, the test meter at all times, so that if I should have an accident, I can immediately take a BG reading to show the police, as obviously, if I had to be taken to a police station, and all the time that this involves, my BG levels could fall to hypo levels

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . . .

I now found the information I was looking for . . . it's on the General Medical Council website, in their Confidentiality guidelines. There are some specific guidelines for Doctors with regard to DVLA. The info is here:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/confidentiality.asp
http://www.gmc-uk.org/Confidentiality___reporting_concerns_to_the_DVLA_or_DVA.pdf_58821800.pdf

Doctors are obliged to advise the patient to inform the DVLA of relevant medical information. If appropriate, a Doctor should advise the patient of their opinion that they are unfit to drive, and remind the patient of his/her obligation to inform the DVLA of this. If the Doctor discovers that the patient has not contacted DVLA and continues to drive, against the advice, then the Doctor should contact DVLA to disclose the information.

This certainly sets my mind at rest. It should not happen that a Doctor informs the DVLA of a patient being unfit to drive, without first discussing this with the patient and encouraging them to contact the DVLA themself. If a Doctor does contact DVLA directly, they should try to inform the patient before doing so, and should inform the patient in writing after doing so. All seems reasonable.

Antony

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@diamondnostril, what is it that are you worried about with regards to your consultant informing the DVLA? Provided you still have good hypo awareness symptoms and have not needed third-party assistance in dealing with a hypo then you should be fine anyway.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Its not really a case of being reasonable its more a case of you being responsible for your own actions.

If you are told to report a condition, any condition to the DVLC that might affect your ability to drive and fail to do so you could be liable to a fine or imprisonment should your condition be deemed to be the cause of an accident, and like a drunk driver that will mean regardless of fault you could be held responsible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-20803200

I would have no sympathy for any driver who caused an accident with me or anyone I know because they had failed to report a possible problem to the DVLA having been told to by a hospital consultant or their GP.

Anyone who has problems with lack of hypo awareness or their eye sight because of diabetic complications has my absolute sympathy right up until they refuse to report their condition to the DVLC, as Ive already said its all about being responsible.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi . . .

I now found the information I was looking for . . . it's on the General Medical Council website, in their Confidentiality guidelines. There are some specific guidelines for Doctors with regard to DVLA. The info is here:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/confidentiality.asp
http://www.gmc-uk.org/Confidentiality___reporting_concerns_to_the_DVLA_or_DVA.pdf_58821800.pdf

Doctors are obliged to advise the patient to inform the DVLA of relevant medical information. If appropriate, a Doctor should advise the patient of their opinion that they are unfit to drive, and remind the patient of his/her obligation to inform the DVLA of this. If the Doctor discovers that the patient has not contacted DVLA and continues to drive, against the advice, then the Doctor should contact DVLA to disclose the information.

This certainly sets my mind at rest. It should not happen that a Doctor informs the DVLA of a patient being unfit to drive, without first discussing this with the patient and encouraging them to contact the DVLA themself. If a Doctor does contact DVLA directly, they should try to inform the patient before doing so, and should inform the patient in writing after doing so. All seems reasonable.

Antony

Hi Antony

I'm not a driver, and am a diet controlled T2 anyway, but can I play devil's advocate for a minute?

You seem like a responsible guy, but not everybody is like that. Some will think nothing of deliberately deceiving in order to carry on driving, and there are also those who just don't feel that the doctor is right so wouldn't follow up on advice. I must admit I'm not just thinking of diabetes here, but also medical conditions like the start of dementia in the elderly, eyesight problems and so on..
There has been a thread on this in the T2 forum in the not so distant past, where somebody really shouldn't be driving (on insulin, poorly controlled, failing eyesight) so I guess my question would be how would the doctor know if the DVLA haven't been informed?
If a patient only sees them every few months, with T2's it may be a lot longer, and unless the patient is sitting in front of them, I don't see docs contacting the DVLA to check.

It's a difficult one. I have read threads on here that are pretty upsetting and I feel for those involved. But I do think in certain circumstances the doc should be able to contact the DVLA as soon as possible, especially where the patient concerned may be a real danger to others.

Just my opinion.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
I don't think it's a matter of can they report you. I'll think you'll find that if they believe that in their medical opinion you driving is a risk to the public or yourself that they have a legal duty to report it.