Can any one help me please?

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
I got up this morning at 6.30 and my bs was 10.4 I took my normal dose of basal insulin last night at 11pm,so I took 2 units of hum along as my aviva expert advised,I did my bs before breakfast at 8.20 after taking my normal dose of 10 units of hum along and my reading was 11 .5. I haven't had anything else apart from 2 ryvitas with Turkey at lunchtime and throughout the rest of the day my sugars have continued to be high,it was actually 27.7 at 12.45 1 hour after my ryvitas,I again took 7 units,haven't had anything else at all today and at 4.30 it was 15.7 again took insulin and I've just done it now (5.45) and its15.6. I haven't had much exercise today and definitely nothing to eat other than what I've mentioned,please can someone help and give me any advice.
By the way I am type 1 and have been since 1977 aged 53'thanks for any help

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you checked to make sure the pen is delivering insulin? Both basal and bolus insulin pens?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you feeling OK, not coming down with a cold or another infection ?

Signy

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Yes,last night I started a new pen and I must Amit it did get stuck halfway through my injection,I twiddled it a bit and it was fine but I have wondered if it is delivering my insulin properly,I have believe it or not only just started on the pens last week but I am finding them a lot better than the old syringes after all those years, I don't know if to just start a new pen. Does this regularly happen?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Change the pen and the insulin cartridge Scottie and see if that helps.

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
What's the cartridge,I thought you only changed the needles

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, that may be the reason. Are you using disposables ?

Do a test shot of the pen- an air shot of + 2 units, then replace the outer plastic cap over the needle . Dial up 20 units, then inject that into the needle cap ( NOT you! Lol )

If the pen is delivering the right amount, the insulin should fill the narrow end of the needle cap . There's an illustration here that explains what I'm talking about - it's from the Novopen 4 , but the principle is the same

http://www.novonordisk.com/images/diabetes/pdf/novopen4-8-4253-00-001-2_Manual(2).pdf

Signy

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Just done that and it's fine it filled the narrow end,just done bs again and it is still 12.5 took 1 unit of bonus,I've been told by my dn that you don't need to inject if you don't want to eat cause your basal will see you through,so what's happening ,could it be that I haven't had any excercise today?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
from reading the forum...you should be able to miss a meal and your basal will cover you [if the basal dose is right]
ring your nurse
it could be...you are coming down with an illness
it could be...if your normal correction dose isn't getting the normal result...the basal or bolus insulin may be a bad box,.. try a new pen from another box for both.

do you have a set of sick day rules, like these examples..worked out by your nurse?
Sick day rules for correcting
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141

http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk...flet_-_Sick_Day_Rules_for_Type_1_-_Nov_13.pdf

https://www.ispad.org/sites/default...pad_guidelines_2009_-_sick_day_management.pdf

Sick day rules flowchart
http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just done that and it's fine it filled the narrow end,just done bs again and it is still 12.5 took 1 unit of bonus,I've been told by my dn that you don't need to inject if you don't want to eat cause your basal will see you through,so what's happening ,could it be that I haven't had any excercise today?

Absolutely it can as exercise decreases our insulin needs and makes us more sensitive to the insulin we inject, if today's high readings are a one-off due to you being inactive then I wouldn't worry about it, however if your not going to exercise as much in the future then you need to review your insulin needs.

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
The insulin I'm taking is from the same box as my last one,I haven't got any sick rules from my nurse I will read all the links you posted,thanks, I am feeling fine though.thanks everyone for all the help and advice,feeling a little anxious about having my tea but will again give myself my dose.

Scotty2121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
That could be it then noble head ,I'll see how it fairs tonight and tomorrow after I have had a busy day and see if there's a difference,if there is I'll know what has caused it to be so high,thanks