Type 2 Can anyone help with what just happened to me?

Emmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 on insulin for 2 years, usually 3 x 25 units novarapid 1 x 45 units tresiba but with hot weather been dropping suddenly so lowered novarapid doses to 20 units. If I get into the low 5s I start to feel hypo. Just before dinner I started to feel shaky so I tested but I was 7.3 so should feel fine. I had my dinner and took 20 units, but after 15 minutes I had a full blown hypo, checked sugars again and I was 5.9. I’m thinking my first reading was wrong and I was probably much lower. I had a carton of oj, then 10 minutes later my heart rate went high and felt like a hypo again although very dizzy. Checked sugars and 8.3. Was this second episode still a hypo? Was it a reaction to very quickly rising sugar levels?? It was absolutely awful, feeling very weak now. Any ideas??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 on insulin for 2 years, usually 3 x 25 units novarapid 1 x 45 units tresiba but with hot weather been dropping suddenly so lowered novarapid doses to 20 units. If I get into the low 5s I start to feel hypo. Just before dinner I started to feel shaky so I tested but I was 7.3 so should feel fine. I had my dinner and took 20 units, but after 15 minutes I had a full blown hypo, checked sugars again and I was 5.9. I’m thinking my first reading was wrong and I was probably much lower. I had a carton of oj, then 10 minutes later my heart rate went high and felt like a hypo again although very dizzy. Checked sugars and 8.3. Was this second episode still a hypo? Was it a reaction to very quickly rising sugar levels?? It was absolutely awful, feeling very weak now. Any ideas??
Hi,

As an insulin using T1. I’d say it’s all relative to what you are used to with your BGs running at? If you feel hypo in the 5s. (Or even 8mmol?)
Do you inject after dinner? It’s normal practice to inject prior.
15 minutes for me isn’t long enough for Novorapid to kick in..?

To be fair, I am more insulin sensitive in the hotter climate. But start with looking at & adjusting my basal first. (But my hypos happen in the mid to high 3s.)

When did you last see a health care professional? As an insulin user, you could be eligible for a sensor? Which could be a game changer for spotting BG trends in between the finger pricks..

Best wishes.