Can Fresh Fruit Be A Problem?

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
after keeping quite a good control on my blood sugar levels, I am on Metformin and Gliclazide my evening blood sugar reading has leapt to 15.3, I did have strawberries for dessert I tested after 2 hrs but have never had a reading that high before. I did do a lot of gardening today and felt very tired afterwards just wondered if strawberries and cherries are a no no with type 2

Reactions: kitedoc

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
just wondered if strawberries and cherries are a no no with type 2
For you they appear to be a no no. Cherries are probably worse than strawberries, though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
after keeping quite a good control on my blood sugar levels, I am on Metformin and Gliclazide my evening blood sugar reading has leapt to 15.3, I did have strawberries for dessert I tested after 2 hrs but have never had a reading that high before. I did do a lot of gardening today and felt very tired afterwards just wondered if strawberries and cherries are a no no with type 2
What are your bloods usually? Did you retest as you may have had a contaminant on your finger?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
upload_2018-8-8_20-23-30.png
Much depends on how many you eat as well as the carb content. Strawberries are relatively low carb but cherries are higher carb - almost twice that of strawberries. We are all different in our reactions to specific foods/fruits, but I wouldn't in your case draw a conclusion from the result of a single test.

Reactions: RogerI

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sugar was higher than normal first thing before breakfast at 10.2 and its usually in the 5s, I re tested two hours later and it was down to 6.2. After my evening meal of home cooked fish &chips peas, tomatoes and mushroom and the strawberries with sweetener I test 2 hrs after having taken my meds with the meal and it was 15.3 never had such a high reading and has worried me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sugar was higher than normal first thing before breakfast at 10.2 and its usually in the 5s, I re tested two hours later and it was down to 6.2. After my evening meal of home cooked fish &chips peas, tomatoes and mushroom and the strawberries with sweetener I test 2 hrs after having taken my meds with the meal and it was 15.3 never had such a high reading and has worried me.
Do you normally eat a meal that high in carbohydrate?
Or were the chips, pea,s tomatoe,s strawberries and sweetener unusual?

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No not normally, the fish wasn't battered or breadcrumbed just baked in the oven as were the tomatoes and mushrooms. I'm beginning to think I must get a firmer grip on my carb intake over the whole day, only diagnosed in March and got my numbers down from 127 to 52 in three months but now seem a bit stuck and it all seems quite confusing and complicated.! But I am determined to succeed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not normally, the fish wasn't battered or breadcrumbed just baked in the oven as were the tomatoes and mushrooms. I'm beginning to think I must get a firmer grip on my carb intake over the whole day, only diagnosed in March and got my numbers down from 127 to 52 in three months but now seem a bit stuck and it all seems quite confusing and complicated.! But I am determined to succeed
So it could have been a combo of all those carbs.. I know for me that would have sent my sugars through the roof in the bad old days. Now I just don't eat those foods.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I'd be blaming the chips.

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So it could have been a combo of all those carbs.. I know for me that would have sent my sugars through the roof in the bad old days. Now I just don't eat those foods.
Are there any not too complicated books you can recommend for new comers to get a sensible eating regime?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any not too complicated books you can recommend for new comers to get a sensible eating regime?
Personally I don't use a book but the www.dietdoctor.com website has a huge amount of low carb recipes and meal ideas.
It really comes down to any meat or fish, green veg that grow above ground, berries on occasion and dairy (full fat) butter, cheese,cream.
The kind of foods that our grandparents and great grandparents ate before "processed" food became the norm. If it comes in a packet then avoid it.

Reactions: richard de leeuw

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I don't use a book but the www.dietdoctor.com website has a huge amount of low carb recipes and meal ideas.
It really comes down to any meat or fish, green veg that grow above ground, berries on occasion and dairy (full fat) butter, cheese,cream.
The kind of foods that our grandparents and great grandparents ate before "processed" food became the norm. If it comes in a packet then avoid it.
Thank you we will look at the diet doctor.com website and try and look at the overall picture of all the carbs eaten each day.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan is a good intro to managing diabetes and diet. Good basic information.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't actually know what cherries would do for me as I haven't any since diagnosis (note to self: try cherries!) but I know I can only eat a couple of whole strawberries ( cut up to make it look like more!) before my numbers will be higher than normal.

Do you keep a food diary? It is important to know what you react to, as carbs are general guide, but certain foods are okay for some people and not others. In my early T2 days I was trying out different foods to know what happened and discovered readings in the 12s -15s (eg curry and rice, toast and jam) and then had a enormous shock when I tried two bowls of Special K (without milk, because I know milk is bad ;)) and...21!! I washed and washed my hands, but no....that was the reading.

No more Special K for me. If I'm going to have a treat day with a food that I know is bad for me, it's not going to be Special K...:stop:

Dietdoctor.com is great, by the way!

KGP

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't actually know what cherries would do for me as I haven't any since diagnosis (note to self: try cherries!) but I know I can only eat a couple of whole strawberries ( cut up to make it look like more!) before my numbers will be higher than normal.

Do you keep a food diary? It is important to know what you react to, as carbs are general guide, but certain foods are okay for some people and not others. In my early T2 days I was trying out different foods to know what happened and discovered readings in the 12s -15s (eg curry and rice, toast and jam) and then had a enormous shock when I tried two bowls of Special K (without milk, because I know milk is bad ;)) and...21!! I washed and washed my hands, but no....that was the reading.

No more Special K for me. If I'm going to have a treat day with a food that I know is bad for me, it's not going to be Special K...:stop:

Dietdoctor.com is great, by the way!
Thank you, I think as you say I need to keep a diary and note down my readings to see what doesn't work for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I think as you say I need to keep a diary and note down my readings to see what doesn't work for me.
It can be very revealing testing blood sugar readings against various food types...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Download the mySugr app and record your readings and food, it is really helpful.

Reactions: KGP

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would not be able to eat the chips or the peas. I haven't tested for mushrooms yet.